Paint Work and Rear Windows

Do you need help with your bodywork, Help is at hand

Paint Work and Rear Windows

Postby Andrew Morris » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:32 pm

Hi everyone,need some advice on this one please?

Had my 78 HC painted back in the summer by a reccomended paint shop in its colour Ember Red.Painted in 2 pack and the results are excellent.Have been slowly re assembling her in the garage and vehicle has not been wet run for nearly 10 years.

With the temepratures going up and down all winter i do my best to keep the garage as well ventllated as possible to avoid condensation,however having been out today to do some more bits,i have noticed some micro spotting blisters on the top of the wing :( .They are only tiny,but give a slightly rougher feel,These "pits" are pin hole size and are only over an area of 2 to 3 centimetres.

Is it anything i have done? and what is the long term effect,ie is the whole paint going to lift or can it be controlled :?

Has any other member experienced this and how do we go about rectification? Am i going to have the wing repainted :cry:

Lastly is there any member in the Hertfordshire area mad enough to help re fit the two rear windows with rubber seal and window trim? Im competant at most things but this,well,its one job i dont want to do on my own :( Happy to pay travelling costs and can provide as much tea and sympathy as possible,equally is there a 1970s Auto glass company that can do the job?

Anyway hope any of you guys and girls can help.

Andrew
Andrew Morris
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: Paint Work and Rear Windows

Postby droopsnoot » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:25 pm

Putting the windows in isn't a major job. Stick the frame in the rubber first, it won't go in afterwards. Start with the lower rear corner of the glass and work it into place gradually and carefully. Use a fairly thick bit of string or insulated wire in the groove as generally directed.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Andrew Morris » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:25 pm

droopsnoot wrote:Putting the windows in isn't a major job. Stick the frame in the rubber first, it won't go in afterwards. Start with the lower rear corner of the glass and work it into place gradually and carefully. Use a fairly thick bit of string or insulated wire in the groove as generally directed.

Is it a 2 person job?
Andrew Morris
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby hbpeter » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:17 pm

In these sort of cases, the promise of Bacon Butties as well as tea/coffee usually helps. :goodideasign:
Its called a Bacon Buttie weekend, if you do get any volunteers, take some pics and do a little write up for the mag.

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby Paul Dawson » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:19 pm

I've done it single handed - just make sure you put plenty of thick cloths down to protect your paintwork. The warmer you can get things the better. When it's cold the seal is much harder to handle.
Paul Dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:12 pm

I did the ones on the Firenza on my own, in fact I did them twice because I didn't realise the frames had to go in at the same time but they won't fit in afterwards. So out they came, and back in again. I did all the glass on the Firenza, have so far removed all the Sportshatch glass but not had to replace it.

That said, I have spares for the coupe glass, and that does give a bit of extra confidence to have a go. :wink:
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Return to Bodywork