Body work roll over jig

Do you need help with your bodywork, Help is at hand

Body work roll over jig

Postby reb78 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:12 am

I wasnt sure where to post this, but since it is really to access bodywork, i thought this would be the best section.

What does everyone do for decent access to the bodywork for a comprehensive restoration. I have seen the roll over jigs, but some are pricey. Do you folks have a preferred make or even another method of easily accessing all of the bodywork parts???

It'll be for a 2 door magnum in case that is important. Engine & box will be out - probably goes without saying!

TIA
reb78
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Body work roll over jig

Postby bedfordbad » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:31 am

If im taking engine / box and axles out i usually carefully roll the shell over on some old car tyres to gain access but watch out you dont take too much metal out at once or it just might warp the shell, i suppose it depends how rusty it is!! :goodluck:
BEDFORD HAE AAB412H
BEDFORD HA ROMA UJJ742F
BEDFORD HA 130 TNN514R
VARIOUS HA VANS AND ROMA`S FOR SPARES.
bedfordbad
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby slimjim » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:30 am

I bought a delux one from

http://www.mk2mania.co.uk/

it's fine with the viva shell fitted, without seats, engine box and rear axle, though the mounting points on the front which fit the bumper mounts, need beefing up to stop the bar bending whilst the car is in the vertical position,

the advantage of the delux is that you can lift the shell up to the correct height using the jig!
slimjim
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:07 am

I've got a similar one to that, but I haven't put the car on it yet as I don't think the rear end is strong enough until I get the quarter panels back on. BB makes a good point - remember these are monocoque construction, so if the sill is missing or rusty along the bottom, this makes a difference to the strength when you want to lift it on each end.

I can't say I'm not just being paranoid as I've spoken to others who have lifted without sills and without any trouble, also I saw a Porsche 911 Targa on a similar set-up with no sills and (of course) no roof. So maybe just me being over-cautious.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby reb78 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:25 am

Thanks for the hints, tips and reccomendations.

The shell is currently complete. Rear end is pretty good. Front wings both need changing and inner front wing on the driver side - battery tray portion is sound, but the vertical part (with the bonnet hinge is rotten).

Now, the thing i hadnt thought of that you guys have mentioned is the strength of the sills. Outer sills are sound, but inner sills are present, but a bit crumbly in places. How much risk do you reckon there is if i were to put it on one of these front/end jigs as it is?
reb78
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:11 am

It has to be your judgement - think of the bodyshell as several box sections, the strength in a monocoque shell is from it all being complete and therefore not going anywhere. There's an argument that a good roof (with gutters) and a good floor and transmission tunnel would be sufficient especially if the bodyshell is empty (which I believe is required for these bumper-mount lifts). Mine wasn't good in most of those areas, and I can see how easy it is to twist while I have no back panel. How good are the outer sills? Are they "cover" sills, or original factory ones which are thicker? If the floor, roof, gutters, tunnel and so on are good, you probably have nothing to worry about.

I'm happy to be paranoid on this one, as I mentioned I've seen lots of cars lifted at each end without any after effects. That said, the 911 targa that I mentioned was going to be put on a jig prior to welding replacement bits.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby reb78 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:05 pm

No harm being cautious! As far as i know at the moment, the floor is pretty sound apart from a hole under the accelerator pedal - that is an extension of the wing rot on that side. Transmission tunnel and floor in that area is all pretty good.

Outer sills are original and completely sound, it is only the inner sills that are a bit corroded. I will assess it properly bearing in mind the info here before proceeding though. The beauty of these jigs is the accessibility they afford relativley cheaply (compared to the jigs that Frosts and the like sell that is).

Axles, engine and gearbox will all come out/off before putting on the jig, so it will only be the shell.
reb78
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby 1972nail » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:45 pm

I made mine from scrap timber.Image
This photo is after it was removed from car

Here the car on the jig
http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/d3a1 ... a9e810.jpgImage
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Return to Bodywork