Window Winder Mechanism

Do you need help with your bodywork, Help is at hand

Window Winder Mechanism

Postby Canam302 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:34 pm

Hi All,

I'm sitting with a problem. The panelbeater removed the window winder mechanism and door glasses from my CanAms doors.

How the heck does the mechanism and windows fit back in, and in which order? I have already clipped in the outer door weather strips, but have the inner one out for now. As we cannot get hold of the original weatherstrips with clips here in SA, I have taken universal strips, drilled holes in them, and have clipped them in the door with push in clips. Seems to work, at least better then glue.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Justin
Canam302
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: Window Winder Mechanism

Postby mazzo » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:15 pm

You should be able to get the glass in with the inner strip not replaced. It's a bit of a faff but I've done it on mine when the mechanism failed.

You put the mechanism back in through the various holes in the door. Secure the winder part (reasonably obvious due to the screw holes!)

Then it gets interesting because you have to locate the window sliders (the plastic rolers) into the window channel (that's on the bottom of the glass - providing he hasn't separated that as it's a big pain getting that on sometimes)

Once you've located the runners in place, you should start to see where the supports attach to the door. Adjustment once you're in place and just check it shuts and opens fully.
1971 1600 HC DeLuxe
1971 Green 2 door HC Base model
1978 Red 4 door Viva E from new
1969 HB 1159 4 door SL
mazzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Canam302 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:20 am

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback! I initially figured out that the actual winder mechanism bolts with four bolts to the door, very obvious, then I got lost. The glass was out, and there were two separate metal mechanisms, one very small short one about 10cm long, and a steel channel of some sort that is bent to suit the shape of the glass.

Sorry if I sound a bit stupid with this stuff, never fiddled with the hidden body work stuff before.

Thanks

Justin
Canam302
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby Canam302 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:43 pm

Hi guys!

Got the passenger door window installed......whohoooooo!! Now it gets tricky, I have replaced the window seals with a universal type seal (I think 15mm), any bigger and the seal would pop out the door frame.

Now I've go to adjust the window for fit. It seems as if the window is tilted inward to much, and needs to be pushed outward slightly to be able to close properly into the door frame seals.

Is there an adjustments screw to alter the angle of the glass, ensuring correct fitment??

Thanks

Justin
Canam302
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:33 pm

There's a couple of bolts towards the rear of the door, these can be used to alter the angle the glass sits in front to back, not in and out. By tilting the glass backwards you can make it sit in the rear U-shaped channel better, so it doesn't have a chance to drop inwards.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Canam302 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:26 am

Hi,

Okay, I did adjust the pair a bolts and have the window fitting nicely into the window channel. Adjust it all the way up, and the window fall out the channel, to far down and the window pinches the window channel. Anyhow I got it right to a point where I only need to slighly push the window outward slighly to close properly.

The inner steel channel nearer the door hinge also seems to have forward and backward adjustment, which makes me think would alter the gradient in which the glass goes up.

Is it possible that the felt weatherstrip I am using is incorrect. Any larger weathertrip just seem to peel out the channel. It seems the glass gets the inward outward play in the portion where there is no steel channel (between the door frame and inner door steel channel).

Sorry guys, I'm only 28 and these old cars need the right brain.

Jus
Canam302
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:29 pm

Hard to tell, can you post some photos?
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Canam302 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:23 am

Hi Guys,

Ok I think I may have found the issue.. I used universal weatherstrips, and thought I could drill holes in them to match the door and chrome strip. The intention was to use plastic material clips to clip the strip to the door. The problem seems that the head of the clips are pushing the window inwards, when trying to wind the window up. This also causes the window to not seal against the strip

I was against using glue to stick these down, but I guess that probably the only option. I was given clips with the strip, but do not look like the original clips.

What do you blokes do for weather stripping?

Jus
Canam302
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Return to Bodywork