Question #1 - VIVA GT door mirror

Do you need help with your bodywork, Help is at hand

Question #1 - VIVA GT door mirror

Postby jpsmit » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:40 pm

Hi there, I am trying to get my ducks in a row for the ongoing restoration of my GT and, hopefully, will be getting the door window guides and rubbers in the next few days. Before the window goes in, I want to make sure the mirror is sorted. I currently have holes drilled in the door (drivers only - LHD) as per the picture - with another mounting hole to the left of the big hole

the mounting holes are 1 1/2" apart. I do have a mirror that fits - with a spring that goes in the big hole. Unfortunately it is pretty rough. are these available new? is there an acceptable substitute? Do I just find a nice one on ebay? any opinions or suggestions welcome - cheers all!
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Re: Question #1 - VIVA GT door mirror

Postby 1972nail » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:58 pm

Door mirrors were not fitted to production cars to about 74, so I doubt is your HB would have had a factory fitted mirror. It was most likely an aftermarket one.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby pbottomley » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:05 pm

AS above, must be an aftermarket jobbie... In which case I would just find what looks good and make sure the door is sorted for them before you slap on paint.
pbottomley

Postby jpsmit » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:58 am

pbottomley wrote:AS above, must be an aftermarket jobbie... In which case I would just find what looks good and make sure the door is sorted for them before you slap on paint.

Good to know - thanks! and, as far as the "slap on paint." Already slapped with the GT, (previous owner) and, ironically, I have a set of rear view mirrors on my Midget, that don't work precisely because I didn't sort before I slapped! :roll: On the plus side, they are chrome and they are bullet mirrors so they are still good for about 3 MPH. :D
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby wolf » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:21 am

JP, the Canadian cars all had the mirrors on them (at least all the ones I've ever seen). I think I have a decent spare, but don't really want to go hunting for it whilst it's -30 C. If you can wait until it's a bit more balmy here, like say -15 C, I'll go looking for it.
wolf
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby jpsmit » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:28 am

No rush - though was a balmy -10 today and was rummaging ;)
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Return to Bodywork