Have GM paint codes changed?

Do you need help with your bodywork, Help is at hand

Re: Have GM paint codes changed?

Postby VivaPete » Mon May 19, 2014 10:24 am

Hi
Try Halfords. They now do paint mixing on the premises. I enquired about Monza Red it was listed under Opel as Monza Red 1963-1965 weirdly enough. A small brush applied pot will be £10 and 300ML spray is £13.99.
It's worth checking them out.
4 Door HB
VivaPete
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby fistfullofV5's » Mon May 19, 2014 12:20 pm

Sorry to disagree but I wouldn't recommend Halfords for a paint match. I once had the misfortune to use one of their aerosols when touching up the Mondeo. Worst colour match I ever saw for metropolis blue,a fairly common Ford colour. Got mine mixed from an online supplier from a code and it was absolutely spot on.
Dave
fistfullofV5's
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Mon May 19, 2014 1:14 pm

Was that a mixed aerosol, or one of the off the shelf ones? A mate of mine sometimes uses Halfords for a quick aerosol if he needs it the same day and reports reasonably good things. I guess with the paint mixing, it's as much having a decent operator who knows what they're doing and wants to do it right as anything - and that will vary from store to store.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby VivaPete » Mon May 19, 2014 4:38 pm

I haven't used the Halfords mix as yet but my mate owns a 1968 mini and the touch up pot is a perfect match. Granted the mini has a modern respray but don't all our cars now.
4 Door HB
VivaPete
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby fistfullofV5's » Mon May 19, 2014 5:11 pm

My Ford colour was one of their own brand off the shelf aerosols and it was dire in terms of colour match.
fistfullofV5's
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby viva les vegas » Sun May 25, 2014 9:55 am

I've had Halfords mix up a can of 1BL to do the inserts on my wheels, and it came out pretty close to the photo of a sample I found (on here). I've also had them mix up a couple cans for my Audi as I couldn't find it on the shelf, and it's a perfect match.
Oh, when they looked for 1BL under Vauxhall, it came up as a flat blue instead of Aqua Starmist, but when they looked under Opel, it came up with the correct metallic stuff :-)
Remember, some days you're the statue, and others, you're the pigeon ;)
Life is a journey, not a destination.

used to be HB259
viva les vegas
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Previous

Return to Bodywork