Rubber door trim clips

Do you need help with your bodywork, Help is at hand

Rubber door trim clips

Postby phil dawson » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:52 pm

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows where you can get the little pin type clips that hold rubber trim onto doors (see pics)

Thanks,

Phil
Attachments
phil dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: Rubber door trim clips

Postby 1972nail » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:07 pm

Paul, I just repaired my door seals and fitted them today and used up all the pins I had. I used glueless bicycle patches to hold them in place.

While fittting the seals to the doors I reckoned that the pins could be substituted for a similar type plastic rivet that is used to hold on the ends of the seal, used in a similar fashon - piercing the seal completely.

A tip for fitting the seal - lay the seal loosely over the door top and fit the all of the pins at the front and rear of the door first. Then fit the seal into the groove on the window frame working front to back. If you try to fit the window frame bit first it will stretch and pins will not align with the holes at the door front.

A bit of silicone spray as a lubricant helps the seal into the groove on the door frame as well.

I found that a 1/2 inch socket extension was the best tool for securing the pins in the holes. A sharp tap with the heel of the hand had them pressed in tight.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby phil dawson » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:10 pm

Thanks,

Do you need to use a tool of some sort to get the rubber into the groove around the window frame?

Also, the plastic type rivets you mention, any idea where they can be sourced?

Thanks,

Phil
phil dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:47 am

No special tool needed, just a blunt flat screwdriver.

If you look at the channel on the top of the door you will see that the side towards the passenger bay or inside has a deep channel while the outside has a shallow lip. Engage the rubber in the deep inside channel and use the screwdriver to gently ease the other side below the shallow lip. Some silicone spray will make it very easy. I remember using Vaseline nearly 40 years ago when building a Firenza for my brother!

As far as the plastic rivets or pegs go, I don't know of a specific supplier however if you search ebay for fir tree clips it should throw up something to help start the quest to find the perfect fixing! :D
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby phil dawson » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:02 pm

Thanks for the tips.

Phil
phil dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:24 am

When I removed the door rubbers on my Firenza I didn't do a great job (inexperience, in a rush, whatever) and managed to damage the areas where the clips push through, I didn't think of bicycle repair patches so I just glued the rubber to the door. It's lasted reasonably well, but it does remind me that it needs some attention near the handle area now.

Try Bresco.com for the clips - I haven't looked, but they do a lot of this kind of thing.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby phil dawson » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:32 pm

Hmmm, could end up spending a fortune on Bresco's website, they have everything for everything!!
Anyway, I spotted some fir tree clips on e-bay that look as if they will do the job so I've ordered them and awaiting delivery.

Thanks Guys,

Phil
phil dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Jon-HPF » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:44 pm

Just a tip on fitting the rubbers into top runners , use some kind of lubricant , rec silicone spray , but washing up liquid will do not too much though.
Start at top corner and offer the rubber into the channel's outer edge , then gently work the other side (obviously the one closest to you! ) into the channel with a very thin flat screwdriver , put some tape over end of screwdriver so it has less chance of chipping the paint in the runner.
I Started in top corner , worked way down ro front a pillar then did the vertical b pillar section.

Found it best to do this first as the rest of it just stretches into place to locate the clip holes :D
"Thats a nice looking Capri you got there mate!"
Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby phil dawson » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:37 pm

Cheers Guys,
Got some clips off of e-bay which are fine, my Father has kindly been working on the door seals whilst I've been trying to suss out the electrics (engine bay & dash), luckily I taped up all connections etc and wrote on what/where they connect to!!
Big problem is going to be swapping from my old style strip type speedo unit to the newer 7 dial speedo unit!!!
Jon: Could it possibly have been you who provided me with details of how to do the swap a few years ago....I've subsequently managed to lose the details :oops:

Phil
phil dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby phil dawson » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:10 pm

Jon,

Just found your post on here from 2008 so now got some info to work with.

What I will need if anyone has got a spare is the connector that goes into the back of the 7 dial speedo unit.

Cheers,

Phil
phil dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Next

Return to Bodywork