Under body protection

Do you need help with your bodywork, Help is at hand

Under body protection

Postby rizzo » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:09 pm

I'm getting to a point where i need to put some underside protection on the HB, currently its zink primed, but not sure at this stage what to use, ie shutz, stone chip, paint, wax? etc etc, what would you use? thanks guys.

Bill
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Re: Under body protection

Postby bedfordbad » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:01 pm

I suppose it depends on weather it is a show or everyday car also what colour you want it, ive done the ute grey stone chip then cargo red to match body! viewtopic.php?f=23&t=23716
some people prefer a thin coat of shultz and then to just keep an eye on it and repair/recoat when necessary .......
steve
BEDFORD HAE AAB412H
BEDFORD HA ROMA UJJ742F
BEDFORD HA 130 TNN514R
VARIOUS HA VANS AND ROMA`S FOR SPARES.
bedfordbad
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:20 pm

I've used a good coat of Bondaprimer then uPol Gravitex stone chip primer covered with Dulux Weathershield water based gloss and put it on with a small roller. You can get it mixed in any Dulux colour and should find one which is close to most non metalic colours.

This can be touched up easily with a brush.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby reb78 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:41 pm

The answer to this question always seems to depend upon how spotlessly rust free the surface is before treatment. On a new shell, any of the treatments that seal it from the outside would be great, but I've heard of some treatments sealing rust in and just letting it eat away quietly under the coating until it's a real problem when you notice it.
reb78
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby rizzo » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:39 pm

Thanks for feedback chaps, its been taken back to the paint and rust sanded back or wire brushed, then Bilt Hamber hydrate 80 on rusted areas, tiger sealed seams/joints, then zink primed.
Thinking of stone chip at the mo as it seems to stick like really well :D

Bill
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:32 am

I left a lot of my HPF in bare paint (well, I put a couple of coats of silver smooth Hammerite in the wheelarches) because I wanted that "show" look. I never quite achieved it, not least because Smoothrite isn't very glossy, but every time a stone came up into the arch I thought someone was chucking rocks at the car. So last year I added some stonechip, after checking for any chips and so on, and it did quieten things down a bit. So if you're going to use it fairly often, I think some kind of stonechip or underseal is a must. But keep checking it - underseal had a bad reputation for sealing in problems, but it really only did that because people undersealed their cars and then didn't check it periodically for damage.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Return to Bodywork