removing screens

Do you need help with your bodywork, Help is at hand

removing screens

Postby Twin Headlamps » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:58 pm

I need to remove both screens on my firenza but am a bit nervous about it.Is it best left to an expert?
The seals look a bit fragile and I don't want to dig myself a hole through being the world's worst at car DIY
Kevin
Twin Headlamps
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: removing screens

Postby bedfordbad » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:45 pm

No problem removing screens as you can just cut through the rubbers with a stanley knife, (im presuming you will be using new windscreen rubbers when refitting )
Handle the windscreens with great care keeping away from sharp metal objects, front probably laminated and rear almost certainly toughened
steve
BEDFORD HAE AAB412H
BEDFORD HA ROMA UJJ742F
BEDFORD HA 130 TNN514R
VARIOUS HA VANS AND ROMA`S FOR SPARES.
bedfordbad
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:50 pm

All Firenzas had toughened screens apart from the HPF afik
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Twin Headlamps » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:00 pm

Thanks chaps.I believe the front is laminated.Haven't got new rubbers but that looks to be the way forward.Been planning new roof lining for some time and to add injury now the heater matrix is leaking.Gonna be short of sleep I think.
Twin Headlamps
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby 1972nail » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:22 pm

I'm about to post a thread on heater matrix replacement soon. :D

Don't cut the rubbers unless they are siliconed in. Just remove the filler strip and apply firm pressure with your feet to one top corner, it should start to release. Wear good boots, leg and eye protection just in case!
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby miketemplar » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:23 am

Damn! I've been in MK all day, would have done it for you. DO NOT remove the strips and give a push, you will stand a very good chance of cracking a laminated glass, if it's toughened it's no problem but lam is delicate, particularly if it has some age to it.
Phone me on 07889122784 before you attempt it, I'll talk you through it.
Why? Cos this has been my job for the last 37 years.
miketemplar
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Twin Headlamps » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:26 am

Thanks for all the tips guys.It is appreciated
Twin Headlamps
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby vauxhallbitz » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:39 pm

Just fitted new front and rear screen rubbers for my Viva E Coupe and entrusted the job to a good friend who has been a windscreen fitter for many years.
I am glad I did so as the rear screen was a complete pain of a job, in and out numerous time before finally going in correctly. Even when it was in we had problems with the bootlid fouling the rubber when being opened.
The front screen bought from the club went in a treat and I used black insert instead of the chrome, like great.
The rear rubber was one of a batch made by the Droopsnoot Club a few years ago so I don't know if anyone else has experienced a similar problem?
My advice would be don't do this job yourself!!!
1958 CA Bedford Dormobile (Porthole)
1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA
1975 Vauxhall Viva E Coupe
vauxhallbitz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:36 am

vauxhallbitz wrote:The rear rubber was one of a batch made by the Droopsnoot Club a few years ago so I don't know if anyone else has experienced a similar problem?

It depends on your definition of "a few years". I bought a DSG-made one quite some time ago - my car was put back together after a respray in 1997, and I'd had the rubber for some years before that - and it went in fine, but after a while one of the bottom corners split along the join. I've since filled the gap with some black silicon which seems to work well, though it needs a bit of shaping. I don't know whether there's been another batch made since then.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby vauxhallbitz » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:33 pm

Not sure I bought it last year at Billing, I can't t remember the guy's s name but he had two for sale, Don' t get me wrong it is better than the one that was in the car!
1958 CA Bedford Dormobile (Porthole)
1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA
1975 Vauxhall Viva E Coupe
vauxhallbitz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Next

Return to Bodywork