Stripes & Badges

Do you need help with your bodywork, Help is at hand

Re: Stripes & Badges

Postby Fred Dukes » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:48 pm

When was a Firenza a Firenza Sport SL :?: If you pook in our register it says - "In December 1971, the engine capacities were enlarged to 1798 cc and 2279 cc respectively. In early 1972 saw the introduction of a top-of-the-line 2300 Sport SL model using the 2279 cc engine" - was there a 2.3 Firenza made befor the launch of the Sport SL - ther was certainly a 2.0 :wink: . Would this be the explanation why Ken had a metal Firenza badge.
The Red Baron was originally a 2000cc SL and that is early 1972?? :?
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby 1972nail » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:50 pm

The Sport SL was on sale from March 72 at the same time as the 2300SL, however the SL was in short supply for a few months with only a few demonstrators being released as they still had a supply of 2000 SL's to shift. The Sport SL was in full supply from release.

The Sport SL had no metal badges on the boot lid until the 73 model year (MK2) when it got a red and chrome 2300 badge on the passenger side to augment the vinyl Sport SL badge on the driver's side. The Sport SL had Firenza badges on both front wings which were not on any other model.

My Sport SL (MK1) was factory fitted with a DL bootlid which only had 2 holes for a Firenza badge but no metal SL badge. These holes were lead loaded in the factory before paint.

Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby 1972nail » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:20 pm

I can now confirm that the metal Firenza badge on the back of Ken's Sport SL was an addition, it's been fitted at a 30° angle where the original vinyl badge would have been. The metal Firenza badge fitted to the other models was always fitted level.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Previous

Return to Bodywork