Respray and prep

Do you need help with your bodywork, Help is at hand

Respray and prep

Postby wyke » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:19 pm

I have a 1978 1256 GLS with the worse paint finish . Should be maroon but bloomed white although I have tried to burnish several times. Well, I have no skills to spray but happy to learn how to prep it .. like how do you get off the side strips !!!
Anyone willing to help ? I am in Mid kent ... or should I just leave it ?
Thanks for any guidance .
wyke
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Respray and prep

Postby droopsnoot » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:30 am

If the side stripes are similar to the Magnum ones, then they're fixed on with plastic clips at regular intervals - removing them should be just a case of wiggling the metal strip until you can tell where there is a clip, then pulling it until it pops off. But don't strain at it - they've been in place a long time and it's easy to damage the strip - much easier than it is to remove the damage afterwards. Once you have the strips off, the clips come out by pushing the centre plastic piece out, but first make sure you can get to the inside of the panel to retrieve the plastic bit as they have a habit of falling into doors, quarter panels etc.

If no-one else posts in the meantime, I'll try to do a photo of how the clip sits in the back of the strip later on.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby wyke » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:14 pm

Your support is very much appreciated, I am thinking about spraying each panel separately out of cans that can be made up... what do you think ? is itpossible ?
wyke
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Bob perry » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:03 pm

I did mine like that, one panel at a time, over the winter in the garage. Looks o.k., some say it looks good, but I know it isn't.
Cost about £120 over the time, but certainly cheaper than a full re-spray. It is the same colour all over though, compared to what it was before, so I'm happy for the time being.
Full spray job will have to wait while I save up, maybe next year.
One point though, get your aerosols from the same supplier all the time. I ordered three larger cans from the internet, for the bonnet and boot, same code and colour, but very slightly different when I put them back on to the car. Annoying, but you can only notice it when you look from certain angles!
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:05 pm

This is the clip, you might just be able to see that it has pointy edges that fit into the profile of the trim strip.

This is how it fits into the back of the trim strip.

To remove the trim strip, I think all you need to do is move it slightly down against the clip and then pull it gently away from the panel. There looks to be enough "give" to allow it to move far enough to release one side. Obviously if they've been in place for years you might have to wiggle them around a bit.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby wyke » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:22 pm

Thanks so much for guidance and time. I have been having a look and certainly rusted on so much I feel I will do more danage than good...but will have another look again and think about using larger cans of paint as suggested Can you recommend an internet supplier. I have a local one but only do small cans.
wyke
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby wyke » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:59 pm

The rubber strips come out easily bot the chrome runners are stuck firmly ..... any other tips on how to remove ? I fear I am doing more damage that I can not reverse !!!!
wyke
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:09 am

Can you post a photo of the trims, in case they're not the standard ones? I didn't think the centre strips were (a) rubber or (b) removable separately on the standard trims.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Bob perry » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:06 pm

I found some moulding clips for my HA at Bresco Vehicle Services, but he ran out and I finally tracked some down at Vauxhall Green Parts .co.uk in Lincolnshire. Part number 7159395, if they are the same on all models?? not sure, but says he has loads of them. Worth a try in both cases, they were both very helpful.
HB and HC clips are definitely listed on e.bay!

As for larger paint cans, I found Glykote in 300 ml cans, on e.bay, and they were great, and covered well.
Look around there are several different suppliers, but I bought mine from a company in Gloucester, just give them the paint code.
Can't find the invoice now though Sorry.
Unfortunately it was a very, very, slightly different shade than the smaller ones I had been buying, so use them only if you are going to do a larger job!! Went on really well though and left a pretty good finish, for an aerosol!!
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby wyke » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:17 pm

I had another look today and sprayed WD40 a few times but fear I can do more harm than good. I forgot to take a photo so will do tomorrow ...Only problem it will not let me upload from phone because of resolution issue. The rubber strips pull out very easily - so easily that I am not sure what hold them in .. or if I should be taking them out !!!
Again thanks for your support
wyke
SL Viva
SL Viva

Next

Return to Bodywork