Respray and prep

Do you need help with your bodywork, Help is at hand

Re: Respray and prep

Postby wyke » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:34 pm

Still no joy ... nervous about removing strips. I did see some on ebay but no mention of the clips and I think these are needed as mine will break off. Please guide me if you have seen any on ebay.

I have now stripped and primed the roof !Any easy way to spray a roof ? .... can kept spitting so I will need to rub down in the spring.
I plan to rub and key old ruby paint ... can I then spray straight on top ... or do I have to prime ?
Thanks again for support.
wyke
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Respray and prep

Postby droopsnoot » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:14 am

Hard to comment further on the trim strips and availability of replacement clips without seeing them, as they don't sound like the standard ones to me. If you haven't found a way to reduce the resolution of your photos yet, upload them to something like flickr or photobucket and post a link to them.

Painting over existing paint can be an issue - you need to be sure you've removed all traces of previous wax coats otherwise the new paint may react to it, depending on what kind of paint is already there and what you're spraying over it. Sometimes primer will help, but a thin cellulose coat can still penetrate down through it and react. There are "bar coat" products around that might help, but the only way to know is to try it - it might be perfectly OK.

I sprayed the roof on my car while it was still a bare shell and on the rotisserie thing, so I was able to get it vertical. Other than that, a pair of small stepladders might be the easiest way to get access. Painting with a can might give you spitting issues, depending on quality and so on, but as long as there's a decent amount of paint on the roof it may be possible to flat out things like that later on, again depending on the type of paint you use.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Previous

Return to Bodywork