Window glass that moves in doors.......rubber strips.

Do you need help with your bodywork, Help is at hand

Window glass that moves in doors.......rubber strips.

Postby wyke » Fri May 26, 2017 9:05 pm

If anyone knows how to source and replace , the rubber strips that press against the moving glass in the doors .... mine have split and perished . Do they come out ...? And if so ... how?
Any guidance greatfully received.
wyke
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Window glass that moves in doors.......rubber strips.

Postby rattlyolddt » Sat May 27, 2017 12:36 am

wyke wrote:If anyone knows how to source and replace , the rubber strips that press against the moving glass in the doors .... mine have split and perished . Do they come out ...? And if so ... how?
Any guidance greatfully received.

East Kent trim do them
rattlyolddt
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby lord13 » Sat May 27, 2017 7:05 am

The clips are a nightmare, they are sprung steel and very thin, they usually disintegrate when you remove them. They fit on the lip of the door skin and are removed by easing out the rubber and getting a tool down between the rubber and the door, use a hard plastic trim removal tool and press down on each clip in turn, gently easing them off the door. Refitting them is slightly more awkward as access is limited.
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Sat May 27, 2017 9:36 am

Good advice. I would add that the edges clips are very sharp and can damage trim and paint very easily not to mention flesh! Wear gloves and cover the paint and trim close to where you're working with something like duct tape.

The original rubbers themselves are unobtainable but East Kent trim, among others, do sell replacements that are so close that only the very picky among us will recognise them as modern. They also sell a suitable clip to hold them in place which are a real pain to fit, but they are effective. They have to be pushed up from below - but the glass is in the way - so you have to make a hook type tool which is strong enough to pull them up into place.

I used self tappers on my car, but space is tight to drill the holes. I was able to drill the holes prior to painting the doors so there was no risk of damage to paint or trim from the rotating drill chuck.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby wyke » Sat May 27, 2017 10:12 am

Many thanks for the guidance and support received . When you say you used self tappers , was that in place of the clips mentioned?
Thanks again
wyke
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby 1972nail » Sat May 27, 2017 12:27 pm

wyke wrote:Many thanks for the guidance and support received . When you say you used self tappers , was that in place of the clips mentioned?
Thanks again

Yes, but when I replaced the strips on my Bro's SportsHatch we used the clips from East Kent as we were concerned about the drill chuck touching the trim and paintwork. The clips are just as effective as self tappers and in some respects better, but they do require a bit of effort and ingenuity to fit properly and tightly.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Return to Bodywork