HC Rear Quarter light surround

Do you need help with your bodywork, Help is at hand

HC Rear Quarter light surround

Postby 19foxy62 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:23 pm

I seem to have came across a rust patch on the drivers side rear quarter around the taillight surround and bumper mount.
Does anyone know of any scrap cars being broken preferably around the north east?
The metal behind will clean up with rust killer
Thanks
19foxy62
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: HC Rear Quarter light surround

Postby droopsnoot » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:31 am

This is unfortunately a very common area, as moisture gets trapped behind it where the light mounting box is fixed to the inside of the quarter panel. I'd guess that you'd find it very difficult to find a car being dismantled where those areas are good, but they do come up - I found an estate being cut up that yielded those areas.

I have considered making a repair section for that area, but haven't done anything about it yet.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 19foxy62 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:48 pm

I had a look at a few cars around the internet that were being broken and saw the same areas were rotten :(
Thought id ask anyway though, never know if you dont ask!
The pass side is suprisingly rust free so ill make a template from that and just reverse it.

I was thinking yesterday that with the lack of repair panels and the amount of problem areas on my car at least, most people would have stupidly written it off long ago!
So far, its the bottom of 3 doors, little patches on the front wings behind the trim, rear wheel arch, A pillar and that tail light
19foxy62
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:47 pm

I know the feeling, I've replaced most of the bottom half of my car, and some of the top half as well. I thought it was worth it because of my history with the car.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Return to Bodywork