Door outside window seal

Do you need help with your bodywork, Help is at hand

Door outside window seal

Postby Mike Attew » Sat May 05, 2018 9:42 pm

How do you remove these? , is there anything I should look for as I am about to replace them.
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: Door outside window seal

Postby droopsnoot » Sun May 06, 2018 6:14 pm

Is this the strip of rubber that sits across the top of the door skin at the bottom of the window? If so, the clips push through holes in the inside of the trim strip and the door skin.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Mike Attew » Sun May 06, 2018 11:18 pm

They are at the top of the door skin on the out side, suppose you could call them a weather strip to stop water going inside the door, could you explain the clips please,
Many thanks
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Mon May 07, 2018 11:17 am

The clips are moulded/crimped into the original seal and are scrapped with the old seal. The best way to remove them if they are being scrapped is with force, careful leverage with a screwdriver and a lot of bad words.

Be very careful as the old clips are razor sharp and will scratch paint, cut trim and slice through flesh. Wear gloves and tape thick cardboard over paint and trim to protect it. The old trim has a metal core so cut the old trim down with tin snips as you remove it to stop the loose ends flailing about and damaging things.

The new trim is different, it has a plastic core and uses separate clips. The ones I've fitted have always been a bit long and need cut down with a hacksaw. I've always cut the hidden vertical ends with a slight angle to aide insertion into the door.

The new clips are a pain to fit. I've made a simple tool out of scrap 3x20mm aluminium bar. A simple upside down '?' shape that allows you to pull the clip up on to the strip and door skin. You may have to spread the clips a bit to get them to fit over all the bits you have to clip together, door skin, shiny alloy trim and weatherstrip.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Mike Attew » Mon May 07, 2018 8:13 pm

Thanks for that, not a simple job like on my Moggy. :(
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Mon May 07, 2018 8:20 pm

I've a Moggy too and no, it's not as simple. :(

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Mike Attew » Tue May 08, 2018 12:13 pm

Just another thought, instead of clips could Sikaflex be used moderately?
If not where do you purchase the clips from?
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Tue May 08, 2018 6:36 pm

This is the clip that's built into the OEM seal. Obviously this is an old rusty one, and the stainless steel trim finisher that runs along the top of the door.

And it pushes in like this. There are corresponding holes on the top inner edge of the door skin

I'm not sure what type of clips are used for the East Kent strip, I believe it's more like a "U" clip that pushes up from underneath. An adhesive might work if you can hold it in place properly while it dries. I never seem to have much luck with them, though my bumper rubber strips seem to be holding OK with Tiger Seal.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Mike Attew » Tue May 08, 2018 8:48 pm

Thanks for the pictures, I can see how they work like that. Only thing is my car does not have the stainless trim?

Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Wed May 09, 2018 9:32 am

East Kent sell a pack of U clips for the seal. However, they had a selection of different ones on their stand at the NEC, all apparently for a Viva / Firenza in November.

I bought these ones as they seemed to be the deepest and would probably fit the best. I haven't fitted them yet so can't comment on their effectiveness. I fitted the seals on my brother's Sports Hatch using a different one from my stock of 'unidentified parts that have been collected over the years' and they worked very well.

At the minute mine are fitted with 4.8 mm stainless steel 10mm self tappers which are caught through the existing slots in the door and trim. It works well but needs checked for tightness every season. Drilling the door for a new fixing would be the best idea but risks of damaging paint with the drill chuck are quite high.

In fact it works well enough that I may not bother to use the U clips I've bought!

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Next

Return to Bodywork