What this?

Do you need help with your bodywork, Help is at hand

What this?

Postby rizzo » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:26 pm

Can anyone tell me what this wobble pressed into the front panel is for?
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Re: What this?

Postby lord13 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:41 am

yep.... it is for the fitting of an OHC engine.

The OHC engines were fitted as a complete assembly with the subframe, and either in production or when working on it the car is lifted off and lowered down onto the subframe and engine as a whole.. That 'wobble' is so the front panel clears the cam pulley bolt as you lower the body down onto the engine and subframe assembly.

Or so I was told many many years ago by the most knowledgeable vauxhall man I knew... who has been known to take the *Bleep* slightly from time to time so maybe he was winding me up, but I had the story corroborated by the guy who trained me so maybe it was true...I dunno....but ... it does just clear the pulley bolt when lowering the body down onto the engine and subframe so if it is true, or just an old wives(vauxhall mechanic) tale, either way it works :)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Johnboy HB » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:32 am

Could be right, the early HB's without the number plate pressing in the front panel, up to August 1967 don't have this wobble
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby rizzo » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:51 pm

Well yeh i guess that would make sense, its just sticks out like a sore thumb, i might have to delete it.
Oh, welcome back Lord after your short absence, hope your all sorted now.
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:42 am

rizzo wrote:Oh, welcome back Lord after your short absence, hope your all sorted now.

Ha ha oh I didn't go away, I just kept my mouth shut so I didn't bring shame on myself my reacting to people being unkind :oops:

I have a new project, but it's CF so I'll have to post the progress on that elsewhere....
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:32 pm

the front panel on OHC Vivas/Magnums had the part you are showing cut out and a bulge panel of on later Magnums a flat panel so I thing that maybe the wobble is for something else Mitch?
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby lord13 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:06 pm

Maybe, maybe ,but this is a HB front panel, the HC had more room in front of the crossmember than the HB so did not need the cut out, the HC bulge i think was a mainly cosmetic exercise but did assist with engine/subframe removal.
Would be interested to find out exactly what it's for, but the only explanation I have so far is the OHC engine removal/replacement one.
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Return to Bodywork