4 door wheel arch chrome

Do you need help with your bodywork, Help is at hand

4 door wheel arch chrome

Postby RubyTheViva » Fri May 29, 2020 4:05 pm

I've just fitted a new quarter panel and I'm in the process of making the end of the sill. I used the wheel arch spat to get the correct curve and shape only it was sitting nearly flush with the door opening and didnt look right. Offered the other side up and theres a noticeable gap on that side. Measured it with a vernier gauge and the drivers side wheel arch is 10mm wider than the new panel Ive fitted
The doors all line up as do the GLS side trims so I'm very confused.
Can anyone shed some light on this?
Thanks
RubyTheViva
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: 4 door wheel arch chrome

Postby droopsnoot » Fri May 29, 2020 6:33 pm

Where is the 10mm measurement?

There is some "tolerance" in panel sizes and gaps, just because it's a car of the seventies. Where did you source the new rear quarter? There is also talk that a lot of NOS panels that are around now have remained unused because they were ordered when these things were new, found to not fit properly, and another replacement ordered. The non-fitting one then sits somewhere for a few decades until it becomes a "rare original panel".
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby RubyTheViva » Fri May 29, 2020 6:37 pm

I took the measurement in line with the bottom of the panel the door latches to. I got it from ebay, genuine vauxhall panel.
Looking closer at the other side, it might have had a wheel arch fitted so it could be off because of that. Will have to have a closer look when I get around to that side
RubyTheViva
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Fri May 29, 2020 7:19 pm

Could have done - the wheelarch repairs are designed to fit over the existing rear quarter, so they're a bit different, but in theory only by the thickness of the steel. It's tricky trying to narrow down issues like this, sometimes it's fortunate that you can't see both sides at the same time.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby rizzo » Fri May 29, 2020 8:35 pm

Pictures are always good in this situation, it give us a better idea what the problem is. :)
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Fri May 29, 2020 10:10 pm

I would say the problem is a badly fitted arch on the other side. Here's a photo of a 4 door showing the trim tight against the door.

4doir arch repair panels were never available so 4 doors had to make do with modified 2 door arch repair panels. Your's probably wasn't modified correctly.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby droopsnoot » Sat May 30, 2020 9:14 am

1972nail wrote:4 door arch repair panels were never available so 4 doors had to make do with modified 2 door arch repair panels.

That's not the case - I had a pair of four-door repair panels until fairly recently.

From the 1986 APD Body Panels catalogue:

droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby HC Fairley » Sat May 30, 2020 10:26 am

On a side note, I took the trim off because they are an absolute dirt and rust trap. If you are fitting them I'd advise taking them off fairly regularly and cleaning the bodywork behind them.
HC Fairley
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby RubyTheViva » Sat May 30, 2020 1:38 pm

This is the iffy side, my perfectionism is telling me it won't do
Another thing added to the list to fix
RubyTheViva
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Return to Bodywork