T cut time

Do you need help with your bodywork, Help is at hand

T cut time

Postby pbottomley » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:55 pm

Well this is both a question and a progress report. I decided to play with some T cut on the HA today. Seems I might be able to polish out most of the *Bleep* marks on my HA!!! Thats will save me a fortune.

The question is, whats a good power polisher? Money is an important issue, so none of these £500 from Snap on jobs LOL :lol: Also whats the right polish stuff to use?

Here is a picture of before I started today

and here is what I managed to do today, it was done by hand and with only two sliced fingers on the chrome strip clips (ouch) :D

I wouldnt mind doing the whole car, but as I am doing a Karate Kid (polish on , polish off) my arms are killing after a few panels. so i want some polisher recommendations.

Cheers peebs
pbottomley

Postby Pork Pie » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:13 pm

cutting compound lad, G4 . The grinder you have will take a mop head, all you need to do is turn the dial to number one (slowest seting) stick on the head and away you go. Just go easy as you can soon go through the paint and make it look no better then when you started. Get it right and it`ll look great. If your unsure i`ll come over and bring mine if you want.
Pork Pie

Postby Geeza » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:16 pm

Hi Paul.
That looks much better already.Not sure if there are any good power polishers out there.But I did borrow one of the cheap ones once and they are a complete waste of time.I found it took longer than doing it by hand and gave up after a couple of panels.So I guess it's the usual rule with buying tools.Yo will get what you pay for.
Good luck Sean.
Geeza
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby lambaj » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:31 pm

Got my polisher from machine mart. Its one of there "own" brands. Costs about £75, but its the real deal. Proper slow speed and variable. Big handles, easy to control. Also easy to chew through paint if you go to mad too long.
Thats what I recommend....

Tony (HA21)
"Ere look - thats one of them Mk2 Vauxhall Cortinas....!!"
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby crazy viva lady » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:17 pm

Hi Paul, all I can say is WOW you must have some muscles :lol: if not before then now :wink:
If you use a polisher cover up anything else you have on the drive or you'll finish up needing to polish everything. I learnt the hard way :oops: you'd be suprised how far a polisher can spread it about, also be prepared to cover yourself in it :lol:
crazy viva lady

Postby pbottomley » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:04 am

cheers for the ideas people on polishing and polishers. I am far to mean to allow polish to fly off inot empty space. :lol: :lol:

I might have to ask the polish master (tinkerman) for his assistance, I have goot a real hope that this car will llok 1000% beter with elbow grease.

For those that wonder I used "Wilco paint restorer" (99p a bottle) and 3 foot of lint cloth I had in the store (was a shed now a store!!). Its a tight month, so will continue to use the same 3 foot of cloth till I get paid.

OHHH and on a side issue, I need a name for the car, will start that in a new thread
pbottomley

Postby Clara » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:32 pm

pbottomley wrote:3 foot of lint cloth

Bit extravagent for a HA isn't it? I use my old t-shirts. How bady my car is treated :(
Three cars, two fire engines, one steam roller, a wheelchair, and various sized hammers.... what could go wrong?!
Clara
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby pbottomley » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:35 pm

Bit extravagent for a HA isn't it? I use my old t-shirts. How bady my car is treated

I dont have anymore lint cloth, and as for t'shirts, are you offering to lend me some? :wink:
pbottomley

Postby pbottomley » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:38 pm

Well until the ned of the month i have managed to use the same cloth, and just used elbow greeses, Pictures tell a thousand words so here is the results so far:

and

:D :D :D :D

The truth is those are the best bits!, and close up its still patchy, but why the hell should I spend a fortune on repainting when with a weeks worth of polish its could look like this all over.

Does anyone know whewre I might get some Roulette Blue paint from? Spray can and touch up stick
pbottomley

Postby HC » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:04 pm

That looks much better. keep it up Paul
HC

Next

Return to Bodywork