Back to base.

Do you need help with your bodywork, Help is at hand

Back to base.

Postby AUTOMAN » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:32 pm

Now my son has started the sanding of the blue HB estate and we are taking it down to bare metal. Please could I have reccommendations on what paint to use on the metal surface to stop rust coming through on each panal as we work our way arround the car. I know colour doesn't realy matter at this stage and that is just as well as Jake has not decided upon a colour for the car yet, though he does think it will probably retain its orriginal colour.

Any suggestions would be welcome before we start getting rain again.

Ian.
AUTOMAN.
AUTOMAN

Postby bodyworx » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:15 am

Its never easy if your doing the car outside, normal Halfords type aerosol primers (cellulose based) are hopeless as they go porous very quickly.
I found a 1k aerosol thats really handy and will last a good while longer and its also high build (less coats and better adhesion), made by U-POL called HIGH #5, highly recommended. Either that or buy a 1 litre tin of 2k primer and brush it on with a little hardener will also do the job :wink:

We need to get more of the youngsters involved, Ive got my 9yr old working on my car now, he has the slight advantage of being born with engine oil and paint coursing through him, Ive had him welding and filling for a year or so now, and last week he stripped and repainted my roll cage in 2 pack pearlescent, (and a spot on job too, well chuffed!)
bodyworx
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby AUTOMAN » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:47 am

Thank you for the advice and also well done for getting your boy involved with the car. My son Jake due to a stroke when he was a babey, is only the size of a 4 year old and also has other dissabilities. He loves the cars that I have owned and even designed one for me about 2 years ago. He Put a big welsh dragon on the bonnet and the word TOYOTA up the side of the car under the body mouldings. Lucky the car was a corola on an S reg. It was white and he put the transfers on in red. Not happy with that, he had his grandad help him again and put neon's in the head-lights and wheel-spinners on the wheels. The car is gone now and we are back to classics but when I asked him what he had in store for the HB estate, he said, "maybe we should keep it orriginal". That was a great relief to me.

Ian.
AUTOMAN.
AUTOMAN

Postby bodyworx » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:07 am

Yeh its great to get the kids involved, its when they decide to ask the question,,,, can I drive it now ,thats the worrying part.

If you or indeed anyone needs any help (obvoiusly not physically , cos your a bit far away from me!) or bodywork advice gimme a shout, more than happy to help if I can .

Andy,
bodyworx
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby pbottomley » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:42 am

I thought Human Rights Laws had stopped child slavery ? Or was that in England only ??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
pbottomley

Postby AUTOMAN » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:16 pm

Ah well the way I got arround that was to give him the car, so he is working on his own car, not slavery now. I just have to wait for a time when the car is finished for him to be extremely naughty so that I can take the car away as a punishment. Lol... :lol: Oh the joys of being a dad. :shock:
AUTOMAN

Postby bodyworx » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:52 pm

AUTOMAN wrote:Ah well the way I got arround that was to give him the car, so he is working on his own car, not slavery now. I just have to wait for a time when the car is finished for him to be extremely naughty so that I can take the car away as a punishment. Lol... :lol: Oh the joys of being a dad. :shock:

Were on the same wavelength here :D ,
I recently done the 'naughty boy thing' to my oldest son, who's nearly 18 now, and took the car keys off him and threatened to sell it :twisted: .soon makes them buck up their idea's .hate disrepectful teenagers

As for the wee man , its his idea to work on the cars, he loves most of the cars that pass through here, but the Viva STILL comes out on top :P .
Hes already got all the plans in place for the classic show in Kilbroney park and thats not until September time!
bodyworx
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby psl » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:48 pm

Andy, can you use your bodyshop connections to find out about a stuff called "Keyfosse" (not sure on the spelling) but we used to use this when i was in the painting trade. A sales man brought it in once. It came in black and clear form and was amazing to say the least, it turned rusty metal solid ready for painting and never re rusted through the paint. We used to use this on big frame works eg bridges and outside structures that were rather large. It was so good we just carried on useing the stuff. We used to bring our cars in (in our dinner break) that we wanted touching up to sell on and we always used this stuff on the rusty areas. It was mega dollars per gallon but worth it. Only available to trade. I think i`ve only got a dribble left and that was from 6 years ago. May be its been band as it was so strong on the old nose, if you locked your self in a small room you`d get high, it was stronger then gun wash!
psl
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby bodyworx » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:02 pm

I'll ask the reps for you Paul, never heard of it myself, maybe your spelling it wrong ??.

andy.
bodyworx
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby bodyworx » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:15 pm

Spoke to the 'learned one' and Motor trade dont have a specific primer like that anymore, nearest think suggested was ku-rust or there was a zinc based primer made by a company called Bondaglass- Voss Ltd based in Beckenham in Kent, dont know if the still do it , called Bonda rust primer + zinc,

The name of the stuff your talking about rung a bell, but it was for northsea oil rigs etc :shock:

Hope this might help anyway

Andy.
bodyworx
GT Viva
GT Viva

Next

Return to Bodywork