From a Magard snoot to the real one.

Do you need help with your bodywork, Help is at hand

Postby Jon-HPF » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:00 pm

Thanks Boyd & Neosi , final lap now - regarding front end etc , Next major jobs are to either repair existing doors or get some decent ones , plus a decent bonnet (hopefully fibreglass)

Fuel and brake lines are a bit close to the manifold so wrapped them up in that heat repellent silver matting - hope that works :) . Nicked the battery cover from my calibra - fits a treat ! Routed oil pressure pipe and wire away from manifold . Genral check over before its on the road.

New bumper and rubber strip now on , and as i thought (after washing the car) the perspex units are not watertight :cry: I will need to make a few adjustments and maybe use double sided sponge tape instead

The rear in daylight ! :lol: Stainless steel numberplate surround will be painted satin black to match the colour scheme.
"Thats a nice looking Capri you got there mate!"
Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby phil dawson » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:39 pm

Looking great Jon,
Any ideas on the fibreglass bonnet? Where you getting one from?
Bulldog was talking about getting someone to make up some but don't know what is happening there. I need one too.

Phil
phil dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Jon-HPF » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:02 am

Thanks Phil , same as you , waiting to hear what Mike has come up with .
I am after one which has steel reinforced underframe to allow conventional fitting to hinges and proper bonet catch /spring.
Jon
Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby phil dawson » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:43 pm

Jon,

Yes, I'd prefer the same type so I can fit the hinges etc too.
I'm sure that I have a phone number of a company who made them for a guy on another forum but was holding off to see what comes of Mike's contact.

Phil
phil dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: From a Magard snoot to the real one.

Postby Jon-HPF » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:38 pm

Almost a year on from its front end rework , some pics in the sun :D
Still has original bonnet - cant decide whether to go the fibreglass route or fit a good steel one i have :?

Colour coded an aftermarket locking petrol cap , currently working on a pair of doors (flush fit handles)

New full length (over wings) spoiler , derusted/ dechromed rear bumper - painted white and fitted a new rubber strip. Plan to weld up the boot key hole - fit solenoid release - have a better spare steel lid to do this with :)
Plan to "lose" the exhaust finisher and get a rear silencer fitted (stainless steel) to reduce the noise a bit :twisted:

Just fitted new OHC front discs / calipers / stainless steel back plates / stainless steel flexis , plus the recent 1800 axle and purpose made split prop.
Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Po79 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:35 pm

Hi Jon,

Cars looking great. I wasn't sure about white snoots until I saw your effort on here and it nearly made me do mine in Ford frozen white until some cheap metallic found its way into my spray gun!

Hope to see it in the flesh when its all done, really intrested in the flush fit door handles.

Po79.
Po79
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Jon-HPF » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:43 pm

Po79 wrote:Hi Jon,

Cars looking great. I wasn't sure about white snoots until I saw your effort on here and it nearly made me do mine in Ford frozen white until some cheap metallic found its way into my spray gun!

Hope to see it in the flesh when its all done, really intrested in the flush fit door handles.

Po79.

Thanks Po , eventually :?: :?: it will end up silver - ive just kept it white (with rattle cans) as i go - doing it a bit at a time - so didnt want to be driving around in a patchwork quilt :wink:
Your car looks great in that colour - and what a good finish - maybe try your hand at silver on mine ? :D :D .
Doors all done now (again in white!) - just got to fit them this week - will update that thread when they are on .

Your not that far away from me , i can see the Minehead butlins dome from my place ! So a meet up would be good - but i think ill stick to the M4 / m5 as salt water wont do the car any good.
Jon
Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Re: Update front end / new ? bonnet

Postby Jon-HPF » Tue May 25, 2010 9:16 pm

Finally decided to use a decent spare steel bonnet rather than go for a fibreglass one , mind you , with the cost of paint / sandpaper / filler etc - it may have worked out cheaper to go f/g :)

Existing bonnet didnt look too bad from outside , but underneath the old tinworm had been having a party - area around hinges and leading edge of bonnet are very thin and crusty.

[Hosted_Picture]Image[/Hosted_Picture]

Spare bonnet had some slight surface rust but not holed or thin :D Paint stripper then good old 60 / 80 grit paper soon put paid to the underside , area around the vents used wire wheel etc , then usual anticorrosion treatments etc then zinc primer - will be painted with rustoleom black smooth to finish.

Paint stripper the topside - lots of it , the bonnet had been oversprayed at some point :cry: lots of 60/80 grit sorted out some small dings , also seam welded the edges by cutting off about 5mm of outer skin (where it folds down into wing gap) to make it easier to seam weld from front to back.

Seam welded the front underlip - after cutting off 10mm so this lip is now the same size as the side ones . With the snoot nose , this should make opening the bonnet that bit easier with only a small underlip , also it shouldnt foul any of the nosecone bolts now.

Used red oxide primer then 4 coats of white high build then 4 coats of gloss white - not perfect but at least watertight until its full different colour respray :D

Next step is to hand paint the underside black , before fitment.
Jon
Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby viva2300 » Wed May 26, 2010 12:43 am

nice job Jon
By the way how are things now the 1800 axle is fitted...is it a bit more relaxed to drive?

Paul
S. EAST AREA REP
1972 Viva 2300 SL 4DR
1973 Viva 2300 SL 4DR + one on paper.
1973 Viva 2300 SL EState
1973 Viva 1800 SL 4DR not for long
1971 Viva 1600 SL 4DR AUTO
1974 HP Firenza Droopsnoot

TOO MANY CARS NOT ENOUGH MONEY OR TIME
viva2300
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Jon-HPF » Wed May 26, 2010 11:56 am

viva2300 wrote:nice job Jon
By the way how are things now the 1800 axle is fitted...is it a bit more relaxed to drive?

Paul

Much better thanks - top end cruising is now a pleasure :D
Jon
Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Previous

Return to Bodywork