rusty floors DOH!!!!!!!!

Do you need help with your bodywork, Help is at hand

rusty floors DOH!!!!!!!!

Postby grandas_shed » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:37 am

Just removed the front drivers and passengers carpets, the floor is very rusty :shock: ,
looks as though i will have to use a wire brush on the angle grinder to get it back to metal, then i will paint it with chassis paint,

before i do that i will have to remove the seats and the rest of the carpet.

under the carpet there is alot of sound proving, whats the best way to remove this as i can amagine that some of this will be very hard to remove :idea:
grandas_shed
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Spence » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:02 am

sorry to say you guessed right, sound deadning and underseal are one in the same (a right royal pain in the *Bleep* to remove)

expect a bit of sweat, maybe some swearing and cursing, but once your stuck in, you'll soon have it done :wink:

oh by the way, a good solid paint scraper is the way forward, refrain from chisels and paint stripper!

good luck 8)
Spence
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:02 am

I've found a heat gun is very effective at softening underseal for removal - a few minutes just gently heating the underseal, then it all comes off very easily with a scraper.

It's a long while since I've seen the stuck-in sound deadening - my current project had no floor at all, so less to remove - so I can't say whether it would help for that.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Jon-HPF » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:52 am

Bring on the power tools ! :twisted: and try and remove all rust back to metal . Any rust left in pitted areas should be treated with an anti-rust treatment . If you find any big holes - no worries as i hear you now have a mig :wink:
Cheers - Jon
"Thats a nice looking Capri you got there mate!"
Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Spence » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:25 am

Jon-HPF wrote: If you find any big holes - no worries as i hear you now have a mig :wink:
Cheers - Jon

plus "practical classics" magazine did a how 2 on making floor pans 8) using wood as a "die" hand beat the ribs yourself :wink:

i did it and it works :lol:
Spence
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:15 pm

Yes, that's what I'm doing. Open the vise jaws up to about the correct width, then get a piece of an old standard lamp pedestal (hard wood, about the right diameter), line it up, then smack it one. Repeat for length of rib required.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Return to Bodywork