Best Cooling Fan?

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Best Cooling Fan?

Postby vivapete3 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:35 am

Hi, I want to replace the standard fan in my 1971 HC Viva Saloon,(1256cc), I like the Revotec Cooling Kit Fan, has anyone fitted one of these fans, and are these fans robust enough to work alone, so I can remove the standard Cooling fan? Any advice would be welcome, cheers, vivapete3
vivapete3
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: Best Cooling Fan?

Postby Fred Dukes » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:51 am

If you are looking for better cooling just flush your system out and/ or fit one of my recored rads - if you don't want to waste the BHP on driving the fan fit a pump and viscous fan :lol:
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby vivapete3 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:34 am

Fred Dukes wrote:If you are looking for better cooling just flush your system out and/ or fit one of my recored rads - if you don't want to waste the BHP on driving the fan fit a pump and viscous fan :lol:

Hi Fred, thanx for reply, will flush the rad, not sure how a viscous fan does not waste BHP, main reason for changing to electric cooling fan is to save on fuel (hopefully) and boost the engine power output + a fellow member stated recently the 1256 engine was over cooled with the convential fan set up, cheers vivapete3
vivapete3
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby rattlyolddt » Tue May 02, 2017 11:16 am

vivapete3 wrote:
Fred Dukes wrote:If you are looking for better cooling just flush your system out and/ or fit one of my recored rads - if you don't want to waste the BHP on driving the fan fit a pump and viscous fan :lol:

Hi Fred, thanx for reply, will flush the rad, not sure how a viscous fan does not waste BHP, main reason for changing to electric cooling fan is to save on fuel (hopefully) and boost the engine power output + a fellow member stated recently the 1256 engine was over cooled with the convential fan set up, cheers vivapete3

If a standard fan is over cooling I'd suggest the thermostat has probably been removed
rattlyolddt
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Mike Robinson » Mon May 08, 2017 9:25 pm

The comment was mine but I certainly dont run the Viva without a thermostat - its a convertible and needs a decent heater too much! Back when we bought it nearly 40 years ago, when they were in common everyday use, HCs were renown for 'mayonnaise' - oil water emulsion in the rocker area due to running too cool. Ours had a thermostatic controller and only switched itself on in heavy stop start traffic. Later HCs with the viscous fans should be better I guess.

Mike
Mike Robinson
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby vivapete3 » Tue May 09, 2017 2:08 am

Mike Robinson wrote:The comment was mine but I certainly dont run the Viva without a thermostat - its a convertible and needs a decent heater too much! Back when we bought it nearly 40 years ago, when they were in common everyday use, HCs were renown for 'mayonnaise' - oil water emulsion in the rocker area due to running too cool. Ours had a thermostatic controller and only switched itself on in heavy stop start traffic. Later HCs with the viscous fans should be better I guess.

Mike

Yes thanx Mike re your comments, as far as I know my 71 HC has a thermostat fitted, just thought the engine would run more efficiently using a Revotec fan only, cheers vivapete3.
vivapete3
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Mechanical