speedo cable

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

speedo cable

Postby cooperman » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:07 pm

Hi, does anyone know the part no. for a speedo cable to suit an 1800 ohc with twin dials please? is it the same as the 7 dial or strip speedo? Thanks Marcus
cooperman
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Re: speedo cable

Postby 1972nail » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:33 pm

I believe the twin dial has a right angle drive. If so, it's the same as a 7 dial dash, if not then a strip speedo one will fit. I also believe that the OHC one is longer than the OHV cable. The 7 dial cable has different threads from the strip speedo. Getting one on ebay is impossible as they are usually listed for the 2300 but are the wrong thread. If Dave Swann can't help you out then Magard Sport or Speedograph are your best bet to get the correct cable.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby cooperman » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:39 pm

Thanks Dave, waiting to hear back from Dave Swann
cooperman
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:21 pm

Speedo cable for the strip speedo is push on and clip - for the twin speedo is a screw fit - as you say Dave prob with a right angle drive - where the knurled threaded ring is different on the cable to right angle drive to that on right angle drive to speedo :roll:
We have some speedo cables in the club spares up the shed - will have a look see what types - I have not heard from David S lately - wondering if he is on another "NHS holiday" :|
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby cooperman » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:00 pm

Thanks Fred, have asked Dave for a few bits and have now informed him that it's for an angle drive, I'll see what he comes back with.
cooperman
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby ADRIAN » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:16 pm

Look on the speedograph website, look at the application list and the cable you want is listed as for: Viva HC GLS. This cable will have the correct end to fit onto the right angle drive used on the twin dial instruments. This also means that this cable is also suitable for the Viva GT (which is not listed) Adrian
HB 1
ADRIAN
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:26 pm

The GT is listed? But useful info all the same.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby ADRIAN » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:37 pm

The Viva GT on their list is newly added as it never used to be there! The second pair of digits on the part numbers denote the length - 66 for the Viva GT = not long enough. I have Viva GLS @ 81 length cable fitted to my own Viva GT which is mush better. Adrian
HB 1
ADRIAN
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby meltdown » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:23 pm

Hi Guys

Rather than start a new post as this one was already entitled Speedo Cable, I thought as my ask is along the same er thread....

....can I ask you chaps if you happen to know the thread type for the connector into the back of the speedo.

Currently I have a Twin Dial and will be moving to a Seven Dial arrangement, however i have no idea whether the thread type cable connector remains to be the same or what it is actually threaded at, is it 5/8th's?

Any advice gratefully received.
Cheers
Nick
meltdown
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Return to Mechanical