Jacking up !

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Jacking up !

Postby Johnboy HB » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:02 pm

Any thoughts as to the best way to Jack up a HB, I may wish to raise the ride height of my HB estate an inch or two and would appreciate any suggestions
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: Jacking up !

Postby lord13 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:33 am

Oddly enough I pondered about this a while back, I would suggest lifting the shell off the subframe/axles etc so the steering geometry stays the same. fabricate mounts to lower the rear arms and front subframe rear outriggers, and fit blocks to the upper mounts...something like that anyway. you'd have to raise the engine off the subframe the same amount also, to keep all the necessary gubbins in the right place, gear stick etc, and extend the steering column a tad. Why are you considering this? what have you got planned, my idea was to fit a bigger engine without cutting the shell, I decided against it in the end though... seemed a lot of work for not much benefit.
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:17 pm

Some HC's had a 3/4" spacer fitted to the top of the rear springs. You could also fit some slightly longer springs from another car. I know of one HC fitted with BMW E36 springs to raise it about 1". They are progressive rate too so the ride isn't any harsher when lightly loaded but stiffens up when weight is added.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby BobbyMel » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:30 pm

My HB Estate back in the 80's had forest rally springs on the front and inch spacers between chassis and spring on the rear....looked pretty high
Attachments
HB 368

1970 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....114 BOB
1969 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....BDH819G
1968 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....BOB 33E
1968 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....NHA 764F
1987 - Austin Montego 1.6L....E375 JRV
1995 - Rover 216 Coupe....N622 VOA
BobbyMel
Top Viva Spotter

Postby Johnboy HB » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:32 pm

Saw a Peugeot 305 combi van the other day that had raised suspension & I liked the stance, thought that the HB estate would be better to look at as well as being more practical for me, I'm 6'2, at the moment the front suspension is apart for rebuilding & I intend to remove & rebuild the rear as well, so best time to consider any changes, like the idea of the BMW E36 rear springs so will look into that, maybe if anyone knows of any springs that fits the front that are longer & also progressive that suit the weight of an ohv that may be the way forward, I've considered maybe using ohc springs on the front but don't want to make the suspension too hard, or perhaps using spacers between the top mounts & chassis rails. All opinions welcome
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Johnboy HB » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:35 pm

That's the look I'm after BobbyMel, do you remember if it was a hard ride or not
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby BobbyMel » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:37 pm

Pretty hard....it had the OHC engine in too, and still sat high. It was a stiff ride though, but I didnt mind then.
HB 368

1970 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....114 BOB
1969 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....BDH819G
1968 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....BOB 33E
1968 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....NHA 764F
1987 - Austin Montego 1.6L....E375 JRV
1995 - Rover 216 Coupe....N622 VOA
BobbyMel
Top Viva Spotter

Postby 1972nail » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:12 pm

Standard Snoot (HPF) front springs are export spec OHV springs. They are longer than standard OHV springs but the OHC engine weight reduced the ride height on the Snoot by about 1". Vauxhall 'parts bin engineering' at it's best :D
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby ADRIAN » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:41 pm

I remember those Forest rally springs very well. My mate had them on his Viva GT , made it look big and bold. Strange how "back in the good old days" we tended to raise up the cars, where nowadays the trend is to lower them. To my (old) eyes, lowered Vivas always look as if the springs are old & sagging and there is something wrong with the car. Even genuine Vauxhall springs which were supposed to be made to exacting specs could be strange. The common Vauxhall Dealer mechanic trick when new springs were fitted to a car that then leans to one side, the spacer would be used on that one side, - then over time after it had settled down, the car may start to lean to the other side and the spacer was swapped over! Until eventually, the car settled on a level keel. Springs can be strange sometimes, because of the metal wire composition. The Steel used in modern car springs is thinner and poorer quality, - made from steel from re-cycled Vivas from Chinese foundries no doubt !
Adrian
HB 1
ADRIAN
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Kraken » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:08 am

Land Rover chassis :D
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Next