Getting frustrated.

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Re: Getting frustrated.

Postby WhiteVanMan » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:53 pm

Earth strap is new, so I've ordered new leads and cap just in case mine are no good. I'll let you know when they arrive and what happens. I'll get a new coil too even though the one on there is almost new.
I'm hoping these replacements will help.
Covid is driving people stark raving mad. Today I observed a woman having a full blown conversation with her dog.
When I arrived home and told my rabbit about it we laughed for hours.
WhiteVanMan
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby Colin » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:09 pm

The fact that an increase in the fuel richness alleviates the problem indicates a carb issue rather than ignition.

How worn is the carb? is the choke spindle slightly loose in the carb body - causing a vacuum leak? Petrol is a solvent, not a lubricant, which causes wear over time.

As others have said, I would be exploring all possible vacuum leak possibilities. In addition to manifold porosity and brake vacuum hose, what does the vacuum advance to distributor pipe look like? Is it loose fitting, split or perished?

If all else fails it might be worth stripping and overhauling the carb - or even investing in new. This one's jetted for CF 2.3 but its the same carb as used on HA van -
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BEDFORD-CF-2 ... SwEppUTRlD
Last edited by Colin on Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby WhiteVanMan » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:25 pm

Both battery and engine earth straps are clean and tight.

New dizzy cap came today. Fitted it.....no better.
Rebuild kit for the carb came today too, so after trying and failing with the new cap I decided to rebuild the carb. Now it's worse than it's ever been. I was very careful to clean everything and make sure the float height was set etc etc. It won't even run now. Mixture screw makes no difference whether it's seated home or literally removed. It runs really lump when I can actually get it to run, and squirting carb cleaner everywhere shows no leaks. I've been out there for hours on end - carb on, carb off, carb on, carb off. It's driving me absolutely nuts and I admit that I got so annoyed today that I pushed it into its parking spot and left it there. If I'd spent much more time with it I'd have probably set it alight and watched it burn while rubbing my hands together and smiling and evil smile.

I'm done with it, it's been like it since the day I took delivery of it. The seller told me it ran perfectly and he'd been using it. He assured me I would be more than happy with it. Since I bought it I've hated it more every day.
Covid is driving people stark raving mad. Today I observed a woman having a full blown conversation with her dog.
WhiteVanMan
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby hbpeter » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:14 am

Where in the uk are you? Possible a member could pop round and help.

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby WhiteVanMan » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:38 pm

I'm in carrot crunching Suffolk. :lol: Not many people around here are old car fettlers unfortunately.
Ok so we now have new plugs, leads, cap, coil, carb rebuild kit and still no better.
So today I replaced all fuel pipes, fuel pump, sourced a new inlet manifold gasket and pulled the inlet off. Before replacing the inlet manifold the face was sanded on a flat surface to ensure a good seal. My vacuum pipe sucks like a good'un and the advance / retard is working on the distributor.
Took it for a run and.........................no better.
Tomorrow I'll be setting valve clearances. Am I correct in thinking the 1256 is 0.8 inlet and exhaust?
If that doesn't work I'll be buying a gallon of fuel and a box of swan vesta's... :shock:
WhiteVanMan
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby cooperman » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:47 pm

Keep at it, I'm sure you'll love it once all the pain is over... either that or you can sell it as a good runner lol!
cooperman
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby hbpeter » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:56 pm

Might be wrong, some 1256 were .8 for inlet and exhaust, some were .8 inlet, .10 exhaust, anyone know for certain?
Compression test? See if you have a weeping headgasket. Worse case, a cracked head, not very common on these. Is the top of the oil pump ok, where it drives the dizzy, part hasent snapped off?

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby hbr341 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:22 pm

HI
Your 1256cc should all be set at 8 All 1256 after late 1973 the ones with 1256 cast in the block by the dip stick should be set hot at 8 thou With the problems you have got i would try another carb i had the same with my HC viva that had the 30iz down draft carb i did a rebuild on it made no difference so i replaced it with a stromberg runs like a dream now good luck.

Regards Chris.
hbr341
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby WhiteVanMan » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:02 pm

Thanks for all your replies.

I've bought a Chevette 1256 Carb and inlet manifold which should arrive in the next few days. I've also bought a rebuild kit for the carb so hopefully it will be running well soon.
WhiteVanMan
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby WhiteVanMan » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:48 am

Update.
Chevette carb and manifold arrived along with the rebuild kit. What I forgot to check was the position of the throttle connection on the carb....which is at the opposite end to my linkage. This means I'm going to either have to make a complete new linkage or try and convert to cable.

While I was removing my weber carb a friend of mine pulled up and asked what I was up to. I explained my woes and said "back in the day I'd have drilled out the jet to see if it improved matters, but I haven't anything suitably tiny."
Cut a long story short my friend went home and returned with a Dremel and some diamond burr attachments. I took the main jet out of my spare weber and we chose a burr that would push through but had the tiniest amount of resistance. It was a spare jet so nothing to lose.

Do you know what? That van runs like an absolute dream now. I set the carb from base settings, did the usual "in and out" with the mixture screw, set the idle, and it runs so sweetly!! No black smoke from the exhaust and still needs choke from cold, it's completely transformed. The main jets in both weber carbs were 115 which is obviously much too small. So I've ordered a 120, a 130 and a 140 and I'll have a play with them.

I cannot believe the difference that has been achieved by literally skimming a tenth of a gnats hair from a jet. My son and I went for a spin and 55 to 60mph cruising was easy. So yesterday I treated the van to all new sound deadening, new carpet and a pair of well fitting seat covers. Today will be an oil change, a wash and a polish.

And to think last week I was ready to throw the towel in.
WhiteVanMan
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Mechanical