HC Rear Suspension

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

HC Rear Suspension

Postby Andrew Morris » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:02 pm

Right guys and gals heres one that i need some help with so can you offer me any help please.

My rear springs on my 78 HC fell to bits and i have a new pair on order from Adrian :)

Now at the top of the spring there is this sandwich configuration of metal plate,rubber grommet thingy and then metal plate.This is all then squashed together with this bush ring which needs a special bush plate inserition tool :cry:

So firstly the rubber grommet thingys are knackederd,perished,ceased to be,so does any one have a pair and secondly does any one have a loan of this bush crimping tool configuration so i can re assemble?

Lastly to Andy Hoise who got me out the whatsit with a new set of rear shocks :lol:
Andrew Morris
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: HC Rear Suspension

Postby Clara » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:44 pm

Andrew Morris wrote:Now at the top of the spring there is this sandwich configuration of metal plate,rubber grommet thingy and then metal plate.This is all then squashed together with this bush ring which needs a special bush plate inserition tool :cry:

Are we talking the rubber bush like the dollies?
Three cars, two fire engines, one steam roller, a wheelchair, and various sized hammers.... what could go wrong?!
Clara
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Andrew Morris » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:09 pm

sorry that is nothing like the rear suspension springs of my 78 hc?

Andrew

best i can describe is on P181 of the Haynes manual and the tool is known as a peening tool :shock:
Andrew Morris
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Firenzaboy » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:03 pm

Can we have some piccies Andrew pls matey?
The tops of the springs re rubber/fastening to the car appear to differ somewhat throughout the range - i only noticed this recently when breaking an early car as compared to a later car i broke a number of years ago....some have like a steel cup over the top of the spring (later ones i assume),some have like a big block of steel about 3/4 inch thick sat on top of the springjust bolted up to the body work (earler i'm guessing)
DC
Firenzaboy
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Clara » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:33 am

Andrew Morris wrote:sorry that is nothing like the rear suspension springs of my 78 hc?

Andrew

best i can describe is on P181 of the Haynes manual and the tool is known as a peening tool :shock:

It shouldn't do! I was just trying to work out what it looked like as they all appear to be different (but I only have pictures of dolomite suspension for some strange reason).
Three cars, two fire engines, one steam roller, a wheelchair, and various sized hammers.... what could go wrong?!
Clara
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby vitaminc74 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:19 pm

[/img]
vitaminc74
GT Viva
GT Viva

rear springs

Postby Andrew Morris » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:22 pm

vitaminc74 wrote:Image
[/img]

yep thats them :cry:
Andrew Morris
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Andrew Morris » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:23 pm

Firenzaboy wrote:Can we have some piccies Andrew pls matey?
The tops of the springs re rubber/fastening to the car appear to differ somewhat throughout the range - i only noticed this recently when breaking an early car as compared to a later car i broke a number of years ago....some have like a steel cup over the top of the spring (later ones i assume),some have like a big block of steel about 3/4 inch thick sat on top of the springjust bolted up to the body work (earler i'm guessing)
DC

yep will do,will take some shots shortly
thanks
Andrew Morris
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Mechanical