Heater not working

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Re: Heater not working

Postby 1972nail » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:07 pm

Sorry for suggesting such a simple thing but could you have fitted the thermostat upside down? The spring bit goes to the bottom. Most motor factors will have a suitable thermostat.

Yes the thermostat should open in boiling water but it usually takes a minute of too.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby vauxhallbitz » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:01 am

No problem, thermostat is fitted the correct way.

I fitted a new one today (82 degrees), still not totally happy, I have lukewarm water in the bottom hose but nowhere near as hot as all the other hoses, the temperature gauge stay right in the middle and the heater blows hot air, perhaps it is meant to be that way.......
1958 CA Bedford Dormobile (Porthole)
1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA
1975 Vauxhall Viva E Coupe
vauxhallbitz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:29 am

vauxhallbitz wrote:I have lukewarm water in the bottom hose but nowhere near as hot as all the other hoses

Isn't that because the water in the bottom hose has come through the radiator, where it's been cooled down? I can't remember the layout of the OHV water system, but you'd expect one end of the radiator would be cooler than the other.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby vauxhallbitz » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:15 am

Yes I would imagine that is the case, I just wasn't sure how cool it should be. The pump must be working as the heat is now circulating around the system.
I will see how it performs when it goes for it's MOT on Tuesday.
1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA
vauxhallbitz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby vauxhallbitz » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:19 pm

Still having problems with the cooling system, after fixing my electrical fault I thought everything was going to be OK.

I could not get warm air out if the heater so I started to bleed the system and eventually managed, however when it is sitting idling it starts to drop coolant out of the radiator overflow pipe and the temperature rises.

There seemed to be no pressure in the system when I removed the radiator cap so I replaced it but it made no difference.

The water is crystal clear and the oil is also clean so does that rule out the head gasket????

Any ideas would be appreciated.
1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA
vauxhallbitz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:04 pm

The rad overflow pipe will drip a bit until the water level settles to what the system needs, usually about 3/4 inch above the core. Pressure only builds up when the system is thoroughly hot and the level has settled and is correct.

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby vauxhallbitz » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:23 am

It loses quite a bit of water probably about a litre, it's a steady flow and seems to pulse a bit.

I think it must still have air in it or could it be the pump as the bottom hose is still only lukewarm.
1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA
vauxhallbitz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby vauxhallbitz » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:42 pm

Think I might have beaten it tonight, there was an airlock between the thermostat and the radiator, I put water in it and so far, no problems, heater working, all hoses hot so fingers crossed, I am going for a test run tomorrow night......
1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA
vauxhallbitz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby vauxhallbitz » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:37 pm

Back to my old problem again, I had drained the system over the winter and decided to fill with anti freeze this time.

Initially could not get hot air in the heater so took it for a run and the heater started working, problem solved or so I thought.

Took it to work the next day and my clutch cable snapped so I coaxed the car home and when I lifted the bonnet there was water everywhere, probably about half a radiator had been thrown out.. The temperature gauge was normal so it didn't seem to be overheating, any thoughts?????
1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA
vauxhallbitz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:39 am

An air lock in the heater circuit. The air expands a lot and forces out the water. When filling the radiator make sure the controls are set to hot and slip off the hose to the heater valve. Pour water in the hose end until water comes out of the valve......no more air locks. :)

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

PreviousNext

Return to Mechanical