HC heater matrix swap

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

HC heater matrix swap

Postby 1972nail » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:49 pm

Leaky heater matrix? Windscreen steaming up? A problem which is becoming more common as our cars age. A new matrix is the answer but those on a budget might shudder at the cost of a recore so what if there was an alternative?

I can't claim the complete credit for this as 'Snoopdroot' (Mike Edwards) gave me pointer in the right direction but I've put the idea into action.

A bit of research on Mike's behalf turned up a matrix that is slightly smaller than the original HC one, it has the connection pipes on the correct side and pointing in roughly the right direction. It's one from an early Landrover Freelander 1.8, pre 01 I think. Mine cost me £15 from a breaker.

Here's the original on the right and Freelander on the left. My original has one pipe slightly modified to fit an alternative valve.

Here's the new matrix showing how the pipes foul on the box, just a slight mod to remove some of the plastic. This the later type box.

The matrix is a 'rattling' fit in the box so I packed it out a bit along the front and the connection end with upholstery foam.

The fan housing could be modified to allow the two pipes to exit roughly through the bottom hole but then alignment with holes in the 'heater plenum shroud' as the manual calls it (heater cover to the rest of us) becomes a problem.

I decided it was better to chop the pipes down a bit and replace with rubber hoses right out through the fan housing's existing holes and out through the shroud to connect straight to the valve or connection to the engine (only later cars have valves).

Sorry, that's the last photo I took before assembly but the rest is straight forward.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Re: HC heater matrix swap

Postby Fred Dukes » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:33 pm

Nice one Dave - as you may know my price for a re-cored original is £55 exchange - none in stock curently :wink:
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby 1972nail » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:24 am

Fred, I had got a secondhand one from you last year at Billing, if you remember, but as my existing matrix is modified for an alternative valve arrangement it seemed a shame to chop up a good original matrix when I could chop up an alternative.

Good job I did keep the good original as the Hatch needs a matrix now as well :D

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Fred Dukes » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 pm

Aah is that where Bill got his matrix from :roll:
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby 1972nail » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:06 am

Yep, from my secret stash of rare and exotic HC spares! 8)

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Fred Dukes » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:46 am

Dont tell people you have a stash of rare spares :shock: you will be flooded with requests for HC rear wheel arch repair panels :wink: :lol:
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Return to Mechanical