Differential Oil - any tricks?

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Differential Oil - any tricks?

Postby jpsmit » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:58 am

As mentioned elsewhere, I hope to be reinstalling the axle quite soon - tonight's question has to do with differential oil.

The book says 90 weight - my bottle says 80-90 weight - I hope that is OK?

Also, any tricks? (With the Midget you fill the pumpkin till you can just feel the oil if you stick your pinky in the fill hole) Is there any similar tribal wisdom for GTs? AND do you put additives in the oil? I have Lucas oil stabilizer in the Midget and I think it makes it quieter.

thoughts?
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Re: Differential Oil - any tricks?

Postby 1972nail » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:36 pm

I've used 80/90 in mine. The book probably was written when multigrades were in their infancy. Again, just fill till it starts to run out, but do it slowly to allow it to pass and fill all the bearings, diff gears etc. I usually rotate a wheel or the propshaft while filling to aide it to fill fully and pick up some oil on the gears.

Put in an additive if you feel that it helps, it won't do any harm or else they wouldn't sell it... :?
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Re: Differential Oil - any tricks?

Postby jpsmit » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:53 pm

super, thanks!
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Return to Mechanical