Springs, shock absorbers and clutch pedal bushes

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Springs, shock absorbers and clutch pedal bushes

Postby vauxhallbitz » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:25 am

I will be changing springs and shock absorbers on my Viva E next week, any do's, don'ts or tips?
Last edited by vauxhallbitz on Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1958 CA Bedford Dormobile (Porthole)
1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA
1975 Vauxhall Viva E Coupe
vauxhallbitz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Re: Springs and shock absorbers

Postby 1972nail » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:58 am

Be careful with the front springs. You need to dismantle the shock absorber bottom brackets completely and remove totally out of the way. This leaves the bottom arm to be supported and lifted slightly on a jack, the support should be out towards the ball joint as far as possible to avoid slipping later on . Disconnect the bottom joint and carefully lower the bottom arm to take the pressure off the spring, taking care to ensure that the arm is still secure on the jack as it is lowered.

If you feel it necessary, wrap the spring in a towel or something similar as you release the pressure in case it jumps out and damages something, but you shouldn't really need it to be honest if you lower the arm slowly.

Have you got new insulators for the top of the front springs? I think I have a pair of replacement ones left over.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby vauxhallbitz » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:59 pm

I don't have new insulators, are they necessary?

How much do you want for yours?
1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA
vauxhallbitz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby pbottomley » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:07 pm

Buy new insulators from Martin Robeys in nuneaton, same as Jensen Healy (will be a tight fit but will fit and do job very well)

google them for a phone number then call them direct
pbottomley

Postby 1972nail » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:43 pm

Mine are from the same source as Martin Robey's. I'll need to check if I have any left.

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby vauxhallbitz » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:58 pm

Did you find any?
1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA
vauxhallbitz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:48 pm

vauxhallbitz wrote:Did you find any?

You have a PM. :)

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby vauxhallbitz » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:38 pm

Back springs and shockers changed today,a bit of a job I have to say. The driver's side had nuts and bolts holding the springs on, boy were they hard to put back on!!
Only when I got to the passenger's side did I discover that they should be capsulated nuts, a lot easier, so someone must have sheared off the driver's side and replaced them with ordinary nuts and bolts in the past.

Oh well front ones next..........what could go wrong!
1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA
vauxhallbitz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:57 pm

Hope you put plenty of grease on the bolts when putting them back in......just in case you need to change them again in 40 years time..... :lol:

I would suggest soaking all the front bolts in release oil tonight.....they might have freed up a bit for next weekend's challenge.

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby droopsnoot » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:54 pm

1972nail wrote:Hope you put plenty of grease on the bolts when putting them back in......just in case you need to change them again in 40 years time..... :lol:

While fiddling with the rear spring and trailing arm on my Firenza the other weekend, I felt really smug that all the bolts came undone and out very easily, having done a decent job of greasing them when it was rebuilt in 1997. Same on the front end, I've replaced bushes there this year, again without any trouble. So yes, can't agree enough on that point.

Incidentally the rear spring should be a captive nut in the top mount, and a captive bolt in the bottom one. Because of where the lower one pokes down through the trailing arm, road debris can rust the nut or take out the thread to an extent where people have no choice but to drill the lower mount and use a nut and bolt.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Next

Return to Mechanical