Lost keys !!

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Re: Lost keys !!

Postby 1972nail » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:39 pm

I've always feared that! :( :( :( Luckily I have 2 sets of keys now just in case. I hope you find yours....

There is a usually code on a piece of paper on the inside of the strap that holds the ignition lock on. You'll not get a key cut from that but at least you might find a replacement at an auto jumble. Failing that the ignition lock can be swapped without needing a key. I don't think the ignition barrels are replaceable.

The door lock barrels and the boot lock on the saloon are the same as Landrover ones, not sure which series, but you'll probably need a key to get the old barrels out unless you're good at picking locks. They're not that hard to pick if you can do it. Once you get them out there is a number stamped on the side of the barrels if I remember correctly.

You may well find that the driver's door and boot locks are so worn that quite a few keys will open them.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby 1972nail » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:57 pm

The ignition barrel can't be removed without breaking it as far as I know. There are 2 snap off bolts holding the lock to the column which can be removed by tapping with a centre punch. Give Fred a shout as he may have a set of locks in the spares scheme.

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:03 pm

If you are getting a replacement ignition lock make sure you get the switch as well or at least make sure the one you get is exactly the same as your old one. There are two types of switch which screws to the end of the lock and they are not interchangeable and the lock bodies for each switch is different.

Also there are early locks without the button on the bottom.

I'd also give it a week or two before doing anything as the keys may turn up......

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Johnboy HB » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:03 pm

The door keys are wilmot breeden ' FT' series, as David says, if you can get the barrel out the 3 digit number should be stamped on it making the key number for example ' FT 100' you should be able to get a replacement key either from e-bay, or an autojumble
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:28 pm

Magnum Force wrote:I'm currently enquiring with the British motor museum as to whether a Heritage certificate would give me the original Ignition lock details ( hoping its not been changed over the last 44 years )

Doubt it, and I think you'd be better asking the Vauxhall Heritage Centre rather than a generic organisation. But I asked the guys at the VHC if they could provide enough information on my car for me to get a replacement SPI plate made up for the inner wing, and they cannot. I have heard separately that while they have a lot of information, build sheets and so on, they're all paper records and in a big storage area somehow. With the level of staff they have, there's little chance of much happening to it, and on that basis I'd be surprised if they could provide key numbers.

Have you lifted the carpets? People have found their build sheets under the carpet before now.

Now, where did I put my spare keys? Nothing focuses the mind on making sure they're to hand more than someone else having a nightmare.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:03 pm

:woohoo: :yatta: :hourra: :yippie:

Bet that's how you feel......

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Johnboy HB » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:56 pm

I keep a record of key numbers with my documents, ( serial Viva owner ) & a spare set of keys :goodideasign:
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jpsmit » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:04 pm

Magnum Force wrote:Further update: The keys are FOUND! Yes they were in a stupid place , :lol:

In the whole history of the world were lost keys ever NOT in a stupid place? (or a safe place!)

:mrgreen:
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby 1972nail » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:25 pm

I often used to blame my dear wife for tidying up....... Now I have a 'Man Box' where she places all the bits and pieces, tools and other things that I tend to leave in places that are acceptable to me but not necessarily her...... :imsmiling:

That way I just have to look in the Man Box first.... :rant:

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby jpsmit » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:02 am

1972nail wrote:I often used to blame my dear wife for tidying up....... Now I have a 'Man Box' where she places all the bits and pieces, tools and other things that I tend to leave in places that are acceptable to me but not necessarily her...... :imsmiling:

That way I just have to look in the Man Box first.... :rant:

SWMBO did the same here - now I just have to FIND the manbox first. :mrgreen:
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Return to Mechanical