tonight question - steering

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

tonight question - steering

Postby jpsmit » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:40 pm

So, first of all, unbelievably I am working on the car! On holidays, really muggy but rainy all day, so, nothing for it but to put a fan in the garage, turn up the radio and get going.

Was doing a few little jobs and one was installing a brake hose on the front - as I looked at the ball joints, it struck me that they look upsidedown. The manual says they are correct but it seems like a sharp angle on the steering rack (though as I say that I realize there is no engine in the car so the springs are completely uncompressed.

any thoughts? (ie please confirm) thanks all!

jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Re: tonight question - steering

Postby 1972nail » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:50 pm

All looks correct to me.

The inner joint on the end of the rack is about level with the inner suspension pivot point, the outer steering ball joint (track rod end here in the UK) is about level with the outer suspension lower ball joint. Also all the suspension and steering arms are parallel. That's the way it should be. So, when it all gets compressed it will look better.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Re: tonight question - steering

Postby jpsmit » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:31 am

thanks - I'm relieved! :thanx:
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Return to Mechanical