Warped block

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Warped block

Postby vauxhallbitz » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:21 pm

It would appear that engine block is distorted between number 3 and number 4 bores, when you put a known straight edge across them you can get a four thou feeler gauge in.

Has anyone had a similar problem, I am torn between trying with a new gasket and Wellseal or hauling it out and getting the block decked by four thou.

Any thoughts??????
1958 CA Bedford Dormobile (Porthole)
1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA
1975 Vauxhall Viva E Coupe
vauxhallbitz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Re: Warped block

Postby Mike Attew » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:54 pm

I think the only way is to have it out. 0.004" is a fair bit for a head gasket to make up. I reckon it will only blow again. That is just my opinion though, I seem to create work for myself as well. Unusual for a block to distort though.
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby rizzo » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:28 pm

I very much doubt it will be a warped block especially between 3 and 4 unless you have the same measurement across the block at that point, with that said make sure your block is squeaky clean and use a quality straight edge that has been stored correctly, flip it and turn it to remeasure at all points across the block.
In 40 years in the trade ive not come across a warped block yet, 4 thou is nowt really i would just put it back together with some wellseal.
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby vauxhallbitz » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:52 pm

Thanks guys, I did get it checked by a friend who is an engine builder and he reckoned it was warped but I am going to try it with Wellseal and see what happens, if it fails then I know what has to be done.
1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA
vauxhallbitz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby vauxhallbitz » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:50 pm

Head back on with lots of Wellseal, won't fire, just turns over, not had time to check if it is sparking. Went back out this morning to find water all over the floor but no sign of where it came from.

Just about had enough of this engine, nothing I do seems to work.
1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA
vauxhallbitz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:38 am

I had much the same issue with the engine in my old HB, nothing seemed to sort it, swapped the head gasket, same issue. Swapped the head, same issue. Welded up a crack in the block, replaced head, same issue. Fitted a 1256 head that I knew was spot on....( used home made sleeves on the bolts to enable fitting ) same issue. You'd've thought one of those measures would have thrown up a different set of results but no, the car did the same damn thing, just got hotter and hotter until it started missing. Turn it off and wait half an hour and you were good to go again...until it cooked up. . . .again. Only conclusion I could come to was the bottom end was screwed . . .in some way.
It was a rumbly old thing in truth. Anyway, i'm getting this engine back in a few weeks so i'll strip it down and have a look at the mains and big ends, and get the block checked out.

One issue that kept flaring up was the fact that no matter what way i tightened the head bolts, no matter what torque, after it had cooked up 3 of them at the back always need tweaking down again, I was leaning towards stripped threads or cracks around the bolt holes that opened up when it got hot. I'd already welded up one of these such cracks at the front, so if it had been mistreated in the past maybe more were cracked.

I just think that sometimes you have to give up and get a new/different engine.
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby vauxhallbitz » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:06 pm

Got it running today but water is still seeping from between number three and four so it's an engine out job, at least winter is coming so it gives me plenty of time to build up my spare engine.

The condenser in the brand new distributor was the cause of it not starting, just shows you can't rely on some NOS parts..........
1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA
vauxhallbitz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Kraken » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:55 pm

I hope you can get something sorted. At least you now know where the water is coming from, that's half the battle.

I'll see you at the show next year ;)
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby GAV » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:18 am

I have an 1159 block totally rebuilt,for £250, just needs ancilories.
GAV
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby vauxhallbitz » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:02 am

Thanks for the offer Gav but I have a rebuilt 1256 engine just need to pick it up from Norfolk!

Kraken, will hopefully catch up with you at some point next year, Scottish Ford Day went really well, close to 650 cars but sadly no Vivas!
1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA
vauxhallbitz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Next

Return to Mechanical