Pedal box shaft bushes

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Pedal box shaft bushes

Postby lord13 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:05 am

Hi, does anyone know where i can get a set of pedal box bushes? Those that stop the brake and clutch pedal flapping about? Or anything that works just as well if those items are unavailable ?

Cheers
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Re: Pedal box shaft bushes

Postby 1972nail » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:35 am

They do come up on eBay from time to time at exorbitant prices. Mike (snoopdroop) has fitted bronze bushes I believe, and he will probably be along soon to share his experiences.

If you do buy some plastic/nylon ones be aware that the white ones are for the clutch pedal and the black ones for the brake pedal.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:26 am

Yes, I used Oilite bushes in my pedal box on the hatch. There is a standard size that fits based on the inner (shaft) and outer (pedal) diameters, but does need the top flange (or side flange, when it's fitted into a pedal box with a horizontal shaft) thinning out a bit. I removed most of the material from the brake pedal as that's under a bit less strain than the clutch pedal, though there wasn't much needed. Just enough to get a snug fit, virtually no sideways motion but loose enough to work properly.

When I bought them, I made up the order to get a better price by buying some smaller ones to adapt for the handbrake cable linkage, which also fit on the ZF clutch cable linkage. Had to decrease the outer diameter in those a little.

Pedal bushes are available from Vauxhall Green Parts and Magardsport, as far as I know, and maybe others. I think these are all the white ones. If I recall correctly, that's what I have in the Firenza without any serious issues, though it doesn't do a lot of mileage.

ETA - I'm talking about HC, I don't know if HB is any different.

droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby lord13 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:35 am

Thanks for the input guys :)

Yeah it's for a HC, but I assume the principle ( and pedal box ) is the same for the HB.

Oilite eh, Where did you get/order them from? I will also be checking out greenparts etc, I'm trying to get The Guv'nor sorted for next year, whether for a sale or to keep I don't know, but if I get all the little niggly jobs done it will be a better prospect either way :)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:37 am

While you're in there, box in the top part of the clutch pedal behind the bush and seam weld the finger that the clutch cable attaches too. That's where the pedal bends and pulls the cable through at an angle, fraying the strands. Sorry I don't have any photos.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby lord13 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:42 am

Cheers for the advice mate, I've heard of this mod before, I'll be getting the pedal box out once i get hold of some bushes, have inquired after them with greenparts and magardsport, just waiting for them to get back to me :)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:03 am

lord13 wrote:Oilite eh, Where did you get/order them from?

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Beari ... index.html

I've since seen somewhere local selling them, but maybe not in the same range of sizes.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby vauxhallbitz » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:10 pm

Got mine a couple of months ago from Magardsport, very reasonably priced, fast delivery, very pleased!
1958 CA Bedford Dormobile (Porthole)
1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA
1975 Vauxhall Viva E Coupe
vauxhallbitz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby jpsmit » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:45 am

vauxhallbitz wrote:Got mine a couple of months ago from Magardsport, very reasonably priced, fast delivery, very pleased!

do you have a part number?
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Return to Mechanical