Oil Pump offset

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Oil Pump offset

Postby Mike Attew » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:34 pm

During this engine rebuild I was going to change the oil pump as everything is stripped. The engine parts supplier has supplied an oil pump which he insists is the correct pump he supplies for this early 1256.

My pump has a pressure relief valve but the new one does not, is it built in on the new one?

The supplier has no idea and I am loath to use it. I was hoping somebody on here has replaced theirs or has any info.

The new pump has POL 806E on the box, the pump has VBR-03 on it.
Attachments
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: Oil Pump offset

Postby 1972nail » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:30 pm

Can you post a photo of the distributor drive end please? There is a slot in the end which drives the distributor, some pumps have a central slot and others an offset slot.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Mike Attew » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:02 pm

It's an offset. I have seen more of the new pump which say they are uprated, I now think looking at the first picture it has a built in relief valve.
Attachments
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:16 pm

Looking at pbottomley's post on building the OHV engine he uses what looks like your new style pump......

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=21549
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Mike Attew » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:31 pm

That is a helpful post thank you, I didn't find it because of the title I reckon :D but it looks the same pump to me.

Thanks for the help.
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby pbottomley » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:14 pm

Mike just diff suppliers, old style relief valve unbolts and spring comes out etc, later style valve built into pump more hidden... as long as the offset is correct safe to use.
pbottomley

Return to Mechanical