tonight question - (wait for it) - brakes

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Re: tonight question - (wait for it) - brakes

Postby jpsmit » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:21 pm

Thanks all - so, as the lines pass under the boot floor, are they attached at all or free floating?
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:40 pm

Attached, on mine. I've read that if you're using copper brake and fuel pipes, you should really add some extra clips over an original steel pipe, but I didn't do that on mine. In fact I did have some trouble on the Firenza with some early MOTs when the tester decided it didn't have enough clips for the brake pipes, even though I had the standard ones fitted.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby jpsmit » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:13 am

So, no further with the brake lines yet - well yesish - A week or so ago I made the trek to the new owner of the most recent GT. He had purchased it and driven 5550 km over Labour Day weekend to Swift Current Saskatchewan and back (Have I mentioned Canada is really large?) I have never seen another in the flesh and intact, curiously a few differences. But, more to the point the opportunity to take many pictures - hurray!

This week was busy with work and, by the end of the week - hot again! Last night we had a big wind storm as a cold front came through and today after we had cleaned up the yard (lots of leaves and small branches) and done a bit on the room I am renovating and after I went with my daughter to see her new apartment (she is moving closer to her work - hurray!) I finally got out to the garage.

Size is relative. I have seen enough UK car restoration posts to know that many in England's fair and pleasant land are restoring cars on driveways, in garden's, in tiny council garages and even <best Monty Python voice> "in shoe box in the middle of the road." (luxury!)

I have a 2 car garage - 16' X 16' (5 X 5 metres) with not a lot of headroom. By Canadian standards it is a pretty small space - though by Toronto standards, it is quite large - there aren't many 2 car garages in my neighbourhood.

It is full, not just with the GT but my MG Midget, 2 tools benches, my tools, my daughter's cosplay tools and work pieces and now, the wood for the reno. All in all a tight space. So, you will recall that the other day, I put the car up on jacks to attend to the brake lines only to find I couldn't close the garage door. Tonight I decided to remedy that. Put the car down on tires, rolled it ahead 6 inches, jacked it up again and, now it is so tight that I literally had to take the latch off the garage door to make it fit. Fortunately a previous owner had the foresight to make it possible to secure the door without a latch.

So, no car progress but the car is up on jacks and ready to go.

In other news, you may recall (many years ago) that the original owner of the car (Cameron) abandoned the project and sold it to Roger. I then bought the car from Roger. Roger was quite active in my local club (British Saloon Car Club of Canada) and this spring died rather suddenly (while retired, he was still not very old). At British Car Day last week (The largest one day British Car Show in North America 1000+ cars- I won the MG Midget class - hurray! ) At the show they had books from Roger at the club table. I was able to grab another Midget book, an SU book and a Lucas troubleshooting manual. Good memories associated with the books.

so, no real update but I have still managed to make a post :)

cheers all!
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby jpsmit » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:19 am

Oh and if the post is boring, for your viewing pleasure:

and,

jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby 1972nail » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:29 pm

OOPS! your videos don't play JP...... I trust they have not been blocked by admin as being unsuitable! I mean that they feature F@#ds!
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby jpsmit » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:03 pm

hmmm try this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOM-TmZBzZo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxTpIMK5NSo

No Fords I promise except the $^&Y(*@!! premier of the province of Ontario :angrywife:
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Previous

Return to Mechanical