tonight question - (wait for it) - brakes

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

tonight question - (wait for it) - brakes

Postby jpsmit » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:22 am

Yes, you predicted it, time to keep on going,

Tonight was mostly sorting and making a few brake line ends. In the brake box I found a baggie with two bolts in it (see pic) the bag is labelled "Fuel line/ Brake line bracket" - this was written by a previous owner so I did not remove them.

Does anyone recognize these? the only brake/fuel line brackets I see are the small ones that screw onto the sheet metal.

Also, any and all pics of brake line routing, especially in the engine bay and around the front subframe are gratefully received!

thanks!

jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Re: tonight question - (wait for it) - brakes

Postby 1972nail » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:42 am

Ha Ha Ha!!...... pity I don't do wagers..... but the odds would have been very low.

There is a small right angled bracket on each stub axle to support the joint between the flexible hose and the metal pipe. Could be for those? Sorry no pics this time.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:26 am

I don't know the HB all that well, but they look like UNC threads, and I thought the main use for UNC threads were into the block or perhaps a few other castings? Also the smooth shank area means they must be fixing something reasonably thick to something else, I'd think they were too big to hold the flexi mounting bracket in place.

Does the GT have a bracket to support the solid fuel pipe* around the engine area? Or, they're a bit like the size of bolt that could hold the mechanical fuel pump to the block.

(* I mean the solid pipe for fuel, not a pipe for solid fuel. Not suggesting you're going to run it on coal).
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:57 am

You're right Mike, they are definitely too big for the brackets on the hub and the correct thread for something on the engine.

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby jpsmit » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:51 am

Thanks for the replies thus far - I appreciate the engine possibilities - not sure how or why the fuel line would come that close and certainly not brakes. (Does anyone with a GT have a pic they could post of the fuel hose attaching to the line and the carb?)

Tonight's question is probably not brake related except that I was putting the brake line on from the rear to the splitter. Soooo, why are there holes in my boot? I had not noticed these before but, if you look at the pic - there are four holes - two pairs of two - they are in the very front of the boot floor, so you can't see them looking in the boot, they are much close to the rear seat back. In the picture you can see the top of the differential for it to make sense location wise.

I don't want to attach the brake line until this is sorted.

thanks much!
JP

jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby 1972nail » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:56 am

Hmmm, don't know that one. HC doesn't have those.

Could it be export only, something to do with dual lines, rear brake limiting valve?

Or....was the car fitted with a tow bar?

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby jpsmit » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:40 am

well friends, it has been one of those nights (OK not one of THOSE nights) but one of those nights. First off I have been trying to finish a small room in the house - used to be the breezeway between house and garage - now closed in. The space is not huge but nothing is straight. This has involved some new wiring and legalizing some other wiring. This gave me the chance to finally upgrade the wiring in the garage so that I have more than one receptacle with size plugs attached. :( The reason I mentioned this is that quite by accident I put one of the receptacles right under the counterweight for the door meaning the very first time I opened that garage I smashed the cover of the receptacle - which means moving it is in my future.

But I digress. The heat has finally broken and today was about 17 deg C. Hurray (of course soon I will be complaining about the cold. :roll: Went out to work on the garage - tried to move a ridiculous amount of junk that had already been moved to make the construction possible, climbed over the 2 bikes and coat rack and garbage can that our new tenants couldn't fit in the apartment. (the problem with renting to family friends is that you can't be the same kind of hard *ss) but again I digress.

Jacked up the car and climbed under to begin to figure out the brakes. Of course the car moved slightly in the jacking and with the height meant that now the garage door won't close, so, lower the car, close the door, clean a few things, paint some clips and call it a night.

So, I figured I should at least ask a question.

where does the brake line go under the car?

I have a vague recollection that the line goes along the bottom next to the prop shaft tunnel on the passenger side (RHD) - it also seems like maybe the brake line and the petrol line go side by side under the same clip. (there was no fuel line at all when I got the car) It seems like there are screw holes on both sides of the prop shaft - but, I see none around the boot area - so is the line unsupported back there? OR does it go along a frame rail which it seems like it could and would be safe but there doesn't seem to be evidence. Thoughts would help, pictures would help more!

Oh, and, anyone know what size the fuel line is? I could probably be buying some soon.

thanks all and cheers!
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:38 am

Certainly on HC it goes along the inside edge of the RHS chassis rail / longitudinal member / frame rail / call it what you will. There's a series of twin pipe clips that hold the brake and fuel lines, fuel at the bottom and brake at the top. I think I used 3/16" for the brake pipe and 1/4" for the fuel line, not least because I'd have had to use non-original clips if I'd used a bigger fuel line.

droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:35 pm

To clarify for all the readers, Mike's photo shows the brake and fuel line location on OHC engined HC cars on OHV engined HC cars it goes along the opposite chassis rail. Both fuel and brake lines drop down the bulkhead on the opposite side from the exhaust manifold in both cases to reduce heat transfer into the fuel and brake fluid.

So on JP's LHD OHC engined HB they still probably goes down the same side as Mike's photo.

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:02 am

I'd totally forgotten about the OHV cars running down the other side David, even though I think it came up previously.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Next

Return to Mechanical