HB Caliper

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

HB Caliper

Postby TGL » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:43 pm

I have a 69 HB and converted the brakes from drums to discs from what I think was from another Viva front clip that I had in the workshop. Its a lockheed Caliper No 3243 341C OA2289 (cant make out the last number as it is chipped

Trying to get a new drivers side calliper, can anyone help identify please?
TGL
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: HB Caliper

Postby TGL » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:52 pm

Been told that a Girling G14 is the same, anyone know for sure please?

Would have to fit a pair I am assuming
TGL
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby StefanM » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:53 am

bear in mind that the discs differ between Lockheed and girling also.......if I am not mistaken only the diameter but still.
StefanM
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby lord13 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:41 am

There are two different sizes of disc brake set ups, OHV have the small (8 inch) discs, and OHC have larger (10 inch) disks. The mounting lugs for the caliper are the same across the range. The stub axle is different on the OHC disk brakes, the mounting lugs for the caliper are further out from the center to accommodate the larger disks. Lockheed and Girling calipers are interchangeable, ( i.e. they both use the same mounting holes), but as you say, fit a pair.

Dunno about 'G14', but as far as I know, there are 2 sizes of girling calipers of this type , M16 and P16. M16 are the ones Ford use and P16 are the vauxhall ones. Some triumphs use the P16s too. The ford ones wont fit, but look identical.

Of course I may be wrong, but this is how i remember it to be. I've not really had much to do with disk brakes lately :)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:58 am

lord13 wrote:Dunno about 'G14', but as far as I know, there are 2 sizes of girling calipers of this type , M16 and P16. M16 are the ones Ford use and P16 are the vauxhall ones. Some triumphs use the P16s too. The ford ones wont fit, but look identical.

Not quite - M16 and P16 are basically the same size, but the M16 caliper has metric fittings and mounting holes, and the P16 has imperial ones. There's also a P16 that has metric threads on the pipe fittings, just to add to the confusion. The P16 was fitted originally to the HP Firenza, and is a bigger caliper than the standard OHC cars use, but uses the same mounting holes. I believe the non-HPF OHC Girling calipers are known as P14 or Type 14.

TGL - if you post a photo of the caliper you do have, someone might recognise it from appearance rather than the numbers. A lot of numbers on brake castings aren't really relevant to application because that varies after machining and so on - maybe not on calipers as I think about it, but certainly on wheel cylinders.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Bob perry » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:24 am

When I looked in to caliper replacement a while back for my HA SL, I found Girling types 12 and 14.
My HA has Girling type 12's, which I understand also fits early Heralds and some Fords.
12's appear difficult to find but 14's seem much more available.

I tried to find out what the differences were, and if you can substitute 14 for 12, in pairs of course!!

Need one of each side by side to be sure, so ended up cleaning and new seals on mine, which is o.k. for now, and she passed a brake test at the mot place, but would like to replace them at a future date, when finances allow.

If anyone can confirm interchangeability, or not, then it would be a great help.
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:58 am

Classic Mini (later ones not Cooper or Cooper S) and Triumph TR7 calipers will fit the OHV mounting holes. The pads are the same as is the disc diameter of the Mini. Before anyone asks, no, Mini discs can not be modified to fit a Viva and Metro 4 pots won't fit the standard viva OHV upright.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby StefanM » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:43 pm

But the ohv cars still have different discs if fitted with girling or lockheed. The girling disc is 212mm in dia and the lockheed disc is 216mm. The HB lockheed disc is the same as HC ohc lockheed brakes.
Might work to mix parts but I dont know
StefanM
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby TGL » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:58 pm

I stripped the thread, maybe have to drill and sleeve it, didn't want to have to do that but if I cant sort a new calliper(s) may have to go that route
TGL
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby thomas » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:04 pm

The site David, 1972nail posted up a week or two ago, on the subject of master-cylinders, also had replacement Lockheed style and Girling style calipers.

https://brakeparts.co.uk/shop/Vauxhall/ ... 0Cylinders

Alas both are out of stock at the moment.
thomas
GT Viva
GT Viva

Next

Return to Mechanical