Head gasket change.....Advice...

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Re: Head gasket change.....Advice...

Postby sebwarner1984 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:12 pm

Fred Dukes wrote:just disconnect the manifold from the head should allow you remove the head - don't need to disconnect the exhaust pipe - best provide some support for the exhaust and manifold.

Hi Fred. We did that in the end. was a bit hard to fir back as it had gone slightly out of line with the new gasket fitted. sadly we started the car back up today and after a while running it a leak appeared in a very similar place to before. gutted to be honest. we did everything right and also used some wellseal as advised. a bit stuck as to what route to go down now. we didn't have any good enough straight edges to check if the head was warped so it could well be that. the weep of oil is about 10mm :(
sebwarner1984
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby Mike Attew » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:03 pm

When I recently had my engine apart I had the head skimmed and hardened seats fitted. The head really requires checking before reassemble especially for what it costs. It cost me £220 for skimmed head, converted to unleaded, new guides pressed in, valves cleaned and re-lapped, new core plugs fitted, head checked & as I broke my valve compressor when taking it to bits he put it back together.
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:56 pm

Sounds like you need to get your cylinder head checked - also make sure that the screw holes in the block don't have water/oil/debris in them as this can prevent the head tightening down properly - I also find that putting temporary locating dowels in two of the bolt holes either end of the block helps in getting the block - gasket - head lined up without skewing about before you put the head bolts in - once you have got most of the head bolts in extract the dowels and fit the final bolts. Clean head and block mating surfaces with meths to remove any grease or oil if using the gasket sealant. Also retorque the head bolts after you have run the engine - you will find that you need to remove the carb and inlet manifold (a right pain in the *Bleep*!) to get at one head bolt which is shrouded by the inlet manifold. Re set tappets.
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby vauxhallbitz » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:26 pm

Sounds very similar to the problems I am having, see my post "warped block" where is the leak coming from?

I tried Wellseal but it did not take up the gap, I would get your block checked with a straight edge as wel just in case. I know it is unusual but my block has a four thou gap between three and four, I had this checked by a professional engine builder who confirmed it.

I have had to scrap my engine and get another, hopefully you won't have to do that.
1958 CA Bedford Dormobile (Porthole)
1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA
1975 Vauxhall Viva E Coupe
vauxhallbitz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:59 am

Interesting... two others with the same issue I was having . . .
head gasket trouble..change head gasket, then exactly the same symptoms occur.
I went through 2 headgaskets trying to pin it down, I eventually used a different head which worked, but then the engine was knocking and there was a deep rumbling from the bottom end. I guess all that overheating and oil/water mix wasn't good for the bearings.

sebwarner1984 - torque down the bolts a touch to see if that alleviates the problem...but not too much, those bolts aren't very big and you don't want to shear them... also you may have dirt and oil in the bolt holes this will 'well up' as you tighten the bolts and force it's way out under the gasket thus wrecking your nice seal. these engines aren't very sophisticated really ...
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby sebwarner1984 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:28 am

Thanks everyone for your ideas and tips. :thanx: I have been given the details for a local guy who can skim the head for me. I will however try the method Fred suggests and re tighten bolt when the engine is hot. most likely though will just remove head and get it done just in case. REALLY don't want to change the engine! anyway just having options has made me much more positive.... not my immediate feeling when seeing oil coming out again :roll:
will post an update soon....next on my list is rear brake shoes...
sebwarner1984
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby Mike Attew » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:50 pm

Just something else I remembered, after I did mine I looked at the head to block joint after a run and saw what I thought was oil at the joint. I looked the next day and it had dried but still visible so I reckon mine was some Wellseal which had seeped out from the edge when hot.
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Previous

Return to Mechanical