Head gasket change.....Advice...

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Head gasket change.....Advice...

Postby sebwarner1984 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:54 am

I’m going to change the head gasket as I appear to be leaking oil from that area. I had cleaned the engine up but oil soon re appeared. I have Viva HC L 1979. The Haynes manual seems to show two layers or two separate gaskets. Any one able to shed light on this? Do I need to order two separate gaskets? Anything I find on the net looks like just singles gaskets. Also any hints and tips on changing head gasket in general very very welcome as I have never done this before. Thanks in advance. Seb
sebwarner1984
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: Head gasket change.....Advice...

Postby Mike Attew » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:32 am

Hi,
Firstly hopefully you have joined the Club. The spares section supply head gasket kits at a reasonable price. I have just rebuilt my engine but unfortunately am still waiting for my gearbox bloke. The head gasket is one gasket or is on the 1972 but I wouldn't think it would change.
I used Wellseal on mine as stated in the Haynes manual but found the torque for the head bolts was stated wrong, I ended doing 49 lb/ft.
I also had the head skimmed and hardened exhaust valve seats fitted for unleaded while it was in bits.
Good luck.
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby sebwarner1984 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:24 pm

Mike Attew wrote:Hi,
Firstly hopefully you have joined the Club. The spares section supply head gasket kits at a reasonable price. I have just rebuilt my engine but unfortunately am still waiting for my gearbox bloke. The head gasket is one gasket or is on the 1972 but I wouldn't think it would change.
I used Wellseal on mine as stated in the Haynes manual but found the torque for the head bolts was stated wrong, I ended doing 49 lb/ft.
I also had the head skimmed and hardened exhaust valve seats fitted for unleaded while it was in bits.
Good luck.

Thanks Mike, yes i joined the club a week or so ago. Thanks for the tips. I will check with the parts department for a gesket then. I'll let you know how i get on
sebwarner1984
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby vauxhallbitz » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:15 pm

Just changed mine for the second time, my block is warped 4 thou between number 3 and 4 bores. This, I am told is unheard of but I have had it checked by a recognised engine builder who used a special straight edge. We thought that Wellseal would possibly take up the gap but it didn't and I have water in all the bores and in the oil.

The job itself is not too difficult but do not use Hylomar,use Wellseal as stated above.

Get you head skimmed and check the block otherwise make sure you use a gasket from the club and not NOS as I did the first time.

Any problem there are plenty of people on here with experience who will help out, good luck!!
1958 CA Bedford Dormobile (Porthole)
1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA
1975 Vauxhall Viva E Coupe
vauxhallbitz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby sebwarner1984 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:20 pm

Any problem there are plenty of people on here with experience who will help out, good luck!![/quote]

Thanks that’s great advice. It’s also very reassuring that people are so keen to help out. I’m looking forward to getting on with this job. Just got to find the time now. Which may well be the hardest bit. I have a young boy and a pregnant wife :thanx:
sebwarner1984
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:51 pm

I do a remanufactured 1256 head gasket set for all variants of 1256 engine for £20.00 posted
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby sebwarner1984 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:43 pm

Fred Dukes wrote:I do a remanufactured 1256 head gasket set for all variants of 1256 engine for £20.00 posted

That’s great fred can I have one please? I did email you but not got a response. I understand you are likely very busy being repair season. Can I pay via pay pal/bank transfer/over the phone???
sebwarner1984
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:02 pm

PM sent :wink:
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby sebwarner1984 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:56 am

Have finally started the head gasket change. All going well until trying to remove exhaust manifold from exhaust. These 4 bolts are hard to get to to say the least. Especially two of them. Any tips on removing these??? Can the head gasket be changed without removing the exhaust manifold completely?? Just to confirm I have a Viva HC ohv 1256 1979
sebwarner1984
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:19 pm

just disconnect the manifold from the head should allow you remove the head - don't need to disconnect the exhaust pipe - best provide some support for the exhaust and manifold.
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Next

Return to Mechanical