Sloppy gearbox change

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Sloppy gearbox change

Postby Mike Attew » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:50 pm

This may be of help, I had a very sloppy gear change, I even went into reverse at the traffic lights without lifting the lever. On stripping to do a rebuild I noticed the hole the shaft went through was over 2mm larger in diameter than the shaft, I think it should have had a bush but this was not present. I used a collared oilite bush which I made to fit and now the gear change is like a modern car, crisp and precise. The difference is amazing.
Attachments
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: Sloppy gearbox change

Postby 1972nail » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:26 pm

I knew I had seen them for sale somewhere.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Che ... rk:21:pf:0
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Mike Attew » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:55 pm

Too late in listing for me but then it says not will not fit early HC boxes so may not have fitted mine. The area for the flange to fit looks wider than mine so maybe the casting was altered.
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby redfirenza » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:26 am

Those black bushes in the picture are the anti rattle bush that fit in the end of the gearlever where it pushes over the selector shaft, only used on the later HC/Chevette models

They are not the selector shaft support bushes that mike is showing in his pictures
redfirenza
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby StefanM » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:54 am

But perhaps Adrian has used the wrong photo? The part no is correct and the 8813785 part I have is not similar to the ones listed at all........
StefanM
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Mechanical