Chevette cylinder head bolts

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Chevette cylinder head bolts

Postby Fred Dukes » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:49 pm

Now I am confused - looked on ebay for some Viva head bolts and drew a blank - thought I would try Chevette and yes a result
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-CHE ... :rk:1:pf:0
Then I looked at the spec and it said thread M10 :? - there's me thinking same engine as the Viva???
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Re: Chevette cylinder head bolts

Postby droopsnoot » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:19 pm

That Payen number comes up as Vectra, Meriva and others, I doubt they'd be suitable for Chevette.

I'd have been less surprised if the confusion happened when you search for Viva, with them re-using the name for a modern car which would be more likely to have these Torx-headed metric bolts.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:38 pm

It is confusing. The year span of vehicles they are 'suitable for' is correct for a Chevette. I wonder if the spec sheet is wrong rather than the description? Might be worth asking.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby pbottomley » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:43 pm

OMG shock horror an ebay seller has mislabelled something !!!

1256cc head bolts are 7/16th

If you want to nerd it out :

viewtopic.php?f=289&t=16078
pbottomley

Postby StefanM » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:55 pm

I thought everything on the internet is correct and true in every aspect? ....... :lol:
StefanM
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby glenn » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:48 pm

Be wary of that 'car parts finder' on Ebay. Even though it may say that a part is suitable for your car, that may not actually be the case.

Recently for my 01 4 litre Jeep I ordered a particular spec oil for the front and rear differentials, along with the additive that is required. I also ordered a gasket for the front and rear diff as changing the oils requires you to remove the diff cover plate- there is no drain plug on the diffs. The oils were okay but the gaskets weren't the correct ones.

At the same time I ordered an exhaust system and because the catalytic converter was looking 'rough' I ordered one of those as well, along with two new Lambda sensors. Change the cat .. change the Lambda sensors..

The car parts finder said that the cat fitted my Jeep (obviously..). It didn't. It was completely the wrong type altogether. To get a refund via Ebay you have to send the item back via tracked post - which cost £15 to return the cat.

I ordered another cat from a different seller and yes, the car parts finder had said .. The second cat to roll up was identical to the first - completely wrong. That cost another £15 to return. I ordered one from the USA, which fitted ..

On fitting the exhaust system and cat I found that despite what the car parts finder said, the Lambda sensors didn't fit. They had the wrong electrical connector. £10 to send them back via tracked mail. I didn't bother sending the diff gaskets back ..

Thing is, some of the sellers ask you to supply your Reg No and VIN so they can double check what the parts finder has identified as being correct .. and the wrong part is still sent. That happened to me twice. And have you ever noticed - some of the car parts sellers on Ebay actually say in their advert that even though it says the part fits your car, it may not ..

Reminiscent of that old song by Johnny Cash who sang about getting bits to build a car ..
I got it one piece at a time
And it wouldn't cost me a dime
You'll know it's me when I come through your town
I'm gonna ride around in style…
Life without a 4 litre Jeep would be terrible
glenn
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Return to Mechanical