polly bushes

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

polly bushes

Postby appleby1 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:16 pm

having been unable to find any rubber bushes for my HA lower wishbones I will have to fit polly bushes,the only ones I have seen have not had an outer metal sleeve like the originals so will they turn in the arm,and if so how long will they last.I only want to do the job once,has anyone had any problems? :roll:
appleby1
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: polly bushes

Postby Bob perry » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:34 pm

Not had any experience of fitting poly bushes, but reading the 'pop brown' website, where he lists HA suspension stuff for kit cars, they do mention that when fitting poly bushes to HA arms to be sure and remove the metal sleeve from the original before fitting poly bushes!!
Not sure if that means that the polys are slightly larger, or designed to spin in the arm!!
Maybe a question on the pop brown forum might bring results.
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby fistfullofV5's » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:10 am

Hi all,
Usually with poly bushes it's the centre sleeve that you bolt through that turns, not the bush itself. This is the reason a poly bush can wear prematurely if the centre sleeve corrodes and doesn't turn cleanly in the bush. Some bushes have stainless sleeves to combat this.
Regards. Dave.
fistfullofV5's
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:33 pm

Surely the centre sleeve doesn't turn, but it does allow the poly bush to turn around it, rather than the arm turning around the bush?

I'm uncertain whether there's any noticeable difference to handling and/or ride through this, given that original bushes are bonded together and therefore have more resistance to turning. That's why I prefer to stick to OEM-style bonded bushes where possible, though in this case it might be a case of poly bush or no bush at all, as it is for HC castor arm bushes at the moment. Though of course they don't rotate in any case.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby appleby1 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:38 pm

droopsnoot wrote:Surely the centre sleeve doesn't turn, but it does allow the poly bush to turn around it, rather than the arm turning around the bush?

I'm uncertain whether there's any noticeable difference to handling and/or ride through this, given that original bushes are bonded together and therefore have more resistance to turning. That's why I prefer to stick to OEM-style bonded bushes where possible, though in this case it might be a case of poly bush or no bush at all, as it is for HC castor arm bushes at the moment. Though of course they don't rotate in any case.

In the bush kits that I have seen, the top bushes have the outer sleeve but the bottom ones don`t,just seems a bit odd
appleby1
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby fistfullofV5's » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:00 pm

droopsnoot wrote:Surely the centre sleeve doesn't turn, but it does allow the poly bush to turn around it, rather than the arm turning around the bush?

Yes , you have explained it much better than me. I should have read my own comment more carefully before posting :oops:
Regards, Dave.
fistfullofV5's
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Mechanical