Viva HC 1972 Cutting out

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Viva HC 1972 Cutting out

Postby Viva Man » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:59 pm

Hello

My Vauxhall Viva HC, keeps cutting out after about 30mins driving. When it first happened I cleaned the fuel pump and cleaned the carburettor. I found small sandy grains which was cleared out. It was assembled and run well but again after about 45mins it started cutting out, it would tick over but every time a put on the accelerator it cut out. the only way I got home was to keep opening the choke to give extra fuel. but after some time it was nip and tuck how I got home and had to use the choke to get into the garage. After the first time I added a fuel filter and could tell the fuel filter was virtually empty.

This is so frustrating as it runs well to start off with then feels like starvation of fuel. I have read it could be the tappets not set right. But i'm open to anything at the moment.
The fuel pump is old but seems to pull through ok.

Has anyone got any tips to help me?

Thanks
Viva Man
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Viva HC 1972 Cutting out

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:39 pm

What type of carburettor is it fitted with? If it's a Stromberg, have you checked the diaphragm is good on it? You really need to stretch it a bit to check, even a tiny pinhole can cause poor running.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:47 pm

There is a common problem related to this symptom. Loose inlet manifold. The manifold and the bolts warm up and release the pressure on the metal gasket. This allows air in and weak running. Check the manifold bolts are tight. Depending on your carb, there may be a bolt inside the manifold to check as well.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby lord13 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:42 am

I had a similar problem, mine kept cutting out and needing full choke after about 30 mins of driving.... I never got to the bottom of the fault as the engine was cooking up constantly, I had a mind that the fuel was evaporating because of the intense heat, but dismissed that as it would run on choke and had to get the fuel from somewhere right?
The loose manifold weakening the mixture seems a better idea, i'd try that, run up to temp then tighten the manifold bolts, can't hurt. :)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Kraken » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:38 pm

Mine hasn’t my been cutting out but has been running lumpy. I believe air was getting into the fuel lines. Tightening up the inline fuel filter seems to have cured it, and now the filter fills up a lot more than it did beforehand.
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Viva Man » Sat May 04, 2019 9:58 pm

Thanks Everyone, good advice never thought of the manifold.

The carburettor is a Zenith.
Viva Man
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Viva Man » Fri May 17, 2019 3:45 pm

Hi All,

Just to advise I think I found the problem, the accelerator shaft into the carb has broken and its completely come out, I have never seen this before.
Viva Man
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby 1972nail » Fri May 17, 2019 5:20 pm

Too heavy on the right foot? :lol:
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Viva Man » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:06 pm

Hello,

Well I think I have just found this issue.

When I bought the Viva I put on new manifold beather hose from rocker cover to airfilter and air inlet in the carb spacer to inlet manifold using Zenith 301z carb. I have got to the stage where I tried everything apart from dancing in clogs.
So my last chance was to replace the inlet manifold gasket. But as I took of the rocker cover manifold breather pipe it come apart, Well it actually fell apart. This was new over a year ago when the issues started. I have pictures but they are too big to add. I replaced with the old one and it seems ok but will give it a proper run when the weather improves. It shows you cant trust new parts. I didn't check it because it was new.

Hope this is the end of the story.
Viva Man
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to Mechanical