Stromberg enigma

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Re: Stromberg enigma

Postby droopsnoot » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:13 am

Mike Attew wrote:Also my set of plug checkers that I bought late 70's have come in useful again, they are the ones you connect to the top of the plug and the lead goes on top, they then flash when the plug fires.

Yes, they're a handy thing, especially if you work on you own and it's not always easy to get a plug into a location where you can both crank the engine over and see the plug. It's worth keeping an eye on Aldi - that's where mine came from.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:25 pm

I would now try the electronic unit that was in when it gave the problems, that way you will be able to blame it or rule it out.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Fred Dukes » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:07 pm

Are you sure you have 12v coil for electronic ignition and that you have bypassed the ballast resistor wire from the ignition switch :?: (coil feed move from D4 to D5 on bulkhead connector)
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby 1972nail » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:22 pm

Fred Dukes wrote:Are you sure you have 12v coil for electronic ignition and that you have bypassed the ballast resistor wire from the ignition switch :?: (coil feed move from D4 to D5 on bulkhead connector)

Yes, Mike has already done that mod a few years ago.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Mike Attew » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:06 pm

1972nail wrote:I would now try the electronic unit that was in when it gave the problems, that way you will be able to blame it or rule it out.

I will wait a while before I do that, make sure it's running ok. I have a show on Sunday at Sunny Hunny providing the weather is ok. I have 2 units, an Accuspark that was in place and one from power spark so will see.
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Previous

Return to Mechanical