Carb Bottom O Ring

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Re: Carb Bottom O Ring

Postby Colin » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:39 pm

I've found that size doesn't matter much (as the actress said to the bishop) - in that you can get away with fitting a very slightly larger O ring from your box of assorted pound shop O rings. Remember that neoprene is flexible and compressible so size isn't critical to the micron - as long as it's not too small (said the actress).

Also, don't forget that the old O ring will have dried out and shrunk slightly over time and exposure to ethanol / petrol, causing it to leak, so replace with one very slightly larger to ensure it seals snuggly. Job done. :)
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:21 pm

You're probably correct Colin but many will prefer to fit the correctly sized parts. As I am producing a kit for members to use I've sourced the correct sized 'O' rings as used by Stromberg. I cannot take the risk of failure on member's behalf.

When I rebuilt my carbs a few years ago I found that metric ones either were too tight to fit properly or too too slack to seal for any length of time. At that time I could only find a supplier of the correct Stromberg ones with a sensible price in the USA.

Correctly sized kits of ethanol proof 'O' rings will be available very soon from me. Members are welcome to view my post in the Members only area of the forum for pricing etc.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Colin » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:41 pm

You're absolutely right David, and you're providing a valuable service for owners of Stromberg carb equipped cars.

It's all very well me being slack (by being too tight) with my own O rings :lol:, but if the parts are sold for other people's cars they have to be correct.
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby nick_smith » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:53 pm

nick_smith wrote:Thanks for your help everyone!

I’ve ordered some 15mm internal diameter (20mm external) x 2.5mm nitrile ones. Hopefully they will solve the issue.

Thanks Colin and David for your further info and advice.

The above measurement hasn’t solved the issue and neither have 2 others from my ‘assortment’ box. I look forward to being able to order a correct spec ethanol resistant o ring in due course.

Thanks again!
Viva la viva
nick_smith
SL Viva
SL Viva

Previous

Return to Mechanical