Water in cyl 1

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Re: Water in cyl 1

Postby Fred Dukes » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:27 am

the Ebayer is not processing orders - says he is away.
I will have a look in the garage Marcus
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby cooperman » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:22 pm

Thanks Fred, I could always try and make one, I'm sure I'll have some scrap copper about.
cooperman
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:15 pm

There may be other eBay sellers who are posting out.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby ADRIAN » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:17 pm

I always put silicone auto sealant under the copper washer, that squeezes down the sides of the threaded stud.
HB 1
ADRIAN
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby chrismc » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:33 pm

Hi Marcus,

If your original copper washer is still intact you can just anneal it. My theory is after a few tightenings the copper becomes work hardened and stops sealing.

Carefully heat it up till it's red and once it's cooled it will be very soft. Be careful you don't melt it.

I do this to all copper sealing washers especially on sump plugs

Good luck
chrismc
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby ADRIAN » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:04 pm

There is one other thing to note..... your engine is 1800cc. Have you fitted twin carbs to this engine to replace a single carb? The single carb manifold has a water bypass feed , where water passes up, to warm up the manifold. Under the inlet manifold, where it bolts to the head. on the "front" gasket, near the themostat housing, there is a water feed hole where water goes up into the manifold. The hole is the same size as a small core plug. When fitting a twin carb manifold to 1800 head, this hole should be sealed up with a core plug, as the water feed is not required on the twin carb manifold. If this is not done, the front manifold gasket is the only thing that's sealing the area, and water can be forced past the gasket, into the inlet / fuel side, filling the cylinder bore with water. In case of an extreme leak here because not sealed, the water will pour out of the engine here, like a burst water hose. (pisses out)
HB 1
ADRIAN
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby cooperman » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:39 pm

Thanks for the tip Chris, Fred is posting one out, from his personal stock!

Thanks for the info Adrian, I did convert it to twin carbs and certainly didn't block off any waterways so that's worth a look
cooperman
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:19 pm

Ooh err Peggy (green 1800 estate) also was converted to twin carb about 12years and 15,000 miles ago - as far as I know there is no water leak yet! :roll:
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby ADRIAN » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:34 pm

Not all of the 1800's have the water feed hole up to manifold = hence core plug filled hole. I remember fitting a brand new 1800cc head, to my 2300cc and twin carbs, on my GT, and I got a flood leak. Thats, when I discovered the existence of this hole. 1800cc and 2300cc heads are the same except for this hole, which is not sealed when used on the 1800cc with a single carb. The manifold gaskets, front and rear, I have some front ones, that have a hole in the them lining up with the water feed. The twin carb manifold front gasket dont have the hole so if using this gasket on a twin carb manifold, it is only the gasket that is taking on the work of sealing up the hole.
HB 1
ADRIAN
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:40 pm

We are never too old to learn! :P
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

PreviousNext

Return to Mechanical