Brake Servo Question

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Brake Servo Question

Postby jpsmit » Sat May 30, 2020 10:38 pm

I realize many (most? all?) don't seem to have servos in your cars, but, does anyone know what company made them and if like Lucas or Girling they were used across more than one brand of car?

The reason I ask is that I am not sure I have the brackets to mount them - I have found the braces but not the bracket - and it is complicated because there is a big pile of Austin 7 between me and most of my parts. All this makes me wonder whether the brackets were also a part shared between marques.

any thoughts?

thanks
all
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Re: Brake Servo Question

Postby jpsmit » Sun May 31, 2020 2:21 am

And I answer my own question. The very good news is that I went through my boxes again and amazingly found them! I don't think I really knew what they looked like before I went through some old pictures.

At any rate, please take a look at the pic below. I think the cast painted piece maybe is the backer plate for the bracket - or the black piece or ???

In other words I don't know how it all goes together = remembering that because it is an SL shell and not a GT shell many of the holes/ brackets aren't there.

thanks all!

jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby Bob perry » Sun May 31, 2020 2:07 pm

My HA has a Girling IIA type servo, which was an option when purchasing from new, or standard on SL models.
This type of servo was also used on Ford and Jaguar amongst others, and is still fairly available, although VERY expensive new!! Around £400 when I last looked!!

There are several companies supplying reconditioned ones, and there are alternatives which fit Moggies and the like which are quite suitable.
I think I left details in the supplier section, of a good Company when I reconditioned mine, but if not p.m. me and I will give you the address, they are in Leamington if I remember!

If fitting one from fresh, you will need to adapt brake piping, fit a larger bore M/Cyl and connect a vacuum pipe and one way vale from the inlet manifold to the servo body.

A bit of work and expense, but not unsurmountable. Good luck.
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jpsmit » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:24 am

Bob thanks for this - it is unbelievably helpful! I should clarify that I do have the servos and they have been rebuilt (at fairly steep expense) by the previous owner.

but - that it is a girling - is a key piece to the puzzle! thanks
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby Colin » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:51 am

A further complication arises in the fact that the brake servo mountings are all different on LHD cars.

And even further complicated because I think the 1970 Canadian GT had two servos mounted in tandem on the L/H inner wing as pictured below. unlike earlier single servo European LHD and British RHD versions also pictured. Nothing is ever simple!
Attachments
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Bob perry » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:58 pm

That triangular bracket looks similar to the type used for remote servos, as fitted to my HA. Master Cyl on drivers side connected to pedal by a rod, pipe from cyl across the bulkhead to servo on passenger side. pipe from servo back out to t piece and brake line system. Picture attached.
Not sure how it works when the master cylinder and servo is all in one place as on later models.
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jpsmit » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:44 am

Thanks all, this is very helpful. Colin you are correct they are fitted in tandem on the inner fender - I have sorted out which goes where (they are different) and I am getting close with measurements. now to continue to sort out the brackets!
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby jpsmit » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:46 am

Bob perry wrote:That triangular bracket looks similar to the type used for remote servos, as fitted to my HA. Master Cyl on drivers side connected to pedal by a rod, pipe from cyl across the bulkhead to servo on passenger side. pipe from servo back out to t piece and brake line system. Picture attached.
Not sure how it works when the master cylinder and servo is all in one place as on later models.
P1040276.JPG

Bob am I correct that your bracket is welded to the fender?
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby Bob perry » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:03 pm

Yes it's L shaped and welded upright at 90 degrees to the inner wing section, and there is a brace bar to another part of the wing for strength. The servo body bolts through the bracket with three bolts.
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jpsmit » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:17 pm

Bob perry wrote:Yes it's L shaped and welded upright at 90 degrees to the inner wing section, and there is a brace bar to another part of the wing for strength. The servo body bolts through the bracket with three bolts.

thanks - welding would have made mine so much easier
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Next

Return to Mechanical