how to install a bushing?

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Re: how to install a bushing?

Postby jpsmit » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:35 am

droopsnoot wrote:I don't know what make of poly bush you have, but if you look at the page for the Superflex version, there is clearly a stainless steel tube that fits up the centre of the bush: https://www.superflex.co.uk/proddetail. ... 77-0035KSS

On poly bushes they do just slide into place, in contrast to the standard rubber ones where they are bonded. So in theory, depending on the measurement of the centre hole on yours, it's just a case of finding a suitable length of stainless tube.

Thank you Thank you Thank you - rummaged through the box and there you are. Easy Peesy to wind in and we are good(ish) to go

metal sleeve 1.jpg
metal sleeve 1.jpg (61.51 KiB) Viewed 677 times
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby jpsmit » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:36 am

So, next question - the holes at the top of the frame for the top of the subframe are quite a bit larger than the bolt that goes in. Is there a sleeve or is that just the way it is.

hole at top 1.jpg
hole at top 1.jpg (45.61 KiB) Viewed 677 times
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby cooperman » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:01 am

Great to see the forum being used with people coming together to offer advice from all around the world.
Good luck with the re-build
cooperman
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:28 am

There are no sleeves in my top mounts - the bolt just goes straight through and is tightened down.

Quick tip from @1972Nail on here - get a piece of plastic tube of an appropriate diameter and push it down through the hole in the chassis rail and onto the top of the bolt. This will help guide the bolt to the centre of the upper hole and stop it from catching on the inner edge of that hole.

As I recall it there is a sleeve inside the chassis rail to stop it collapsing when you tighten the nut down onto the upper mount bolt, but it's not very close to the shape of the hole - IIRC there's enough of a gap that even the pointy-ended bolts can catch in a corner.. If you're even slightly off with the angle when lifting the subframe / dropping the body, the bolt will catch inside the upper hole and it's a real pain to shift. So the tube helps to guide it through.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby jpsmit » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:38 pm

droopsnoot wrote:There are no sleeves in my top mounts - the bolt just goes straight through and is tightened down.

Quick tip from @1972Nail on here - get a piece of plastic tube of an appropriate diameter and push it down through the hole in the chassis rail and onto the top of the bolt. This will help guide the bolt to the centre of the upper hole and stop it from catching on the inner edge of that hole.

As I recall it there is a sleeve inside the chassis rail to stop it collapsing when you tighten the nut down onto the upper mount bolt, but it's not very close to the shape of the hole - IIRC there's enough of a gap that even the pointy-ended bolts can catch in a corner.. If you're even slightly off with the angle when lifting the subframe / dropping the body, the bolt will catch inside the upper hole and it's a real pain to shift. So the tube helps to guide it through.

thanks for this reminder - I had read it before and it had slipped my mind, and yes there is a sleeve in the rail.

will keep you posted.
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby jpsmit » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:40 pm

cooperman wrote:Great to see the forum being used with people coming together to offer advice from all around the world.
Good luck with the re-build

Thanks and I literally could not have undertaken this without this forum - so much appreciated.
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Previous

Return to Mechanical