Radiator Recoring.

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Radiator Recoring.

Postby MarkYoungIW » Mon May 31, 2021 5:55 pm

I am just recommissioning my Viva HC, which ended up in a 5 year slumber in a barn (instead of the winter it was meant to be).

Changed the water pump today, as the old one had been weeping when I put the car away, and having a look at the Radiator, it's getting on a bit and could do with some attention.

The car however is an auto, and the oil cooler for the box is in the bottom of the radiator.

Does anyone have any good recommendations as to who I should trust my radiator to.

Any suggestions are gratefully received.

Thanks
1971 Viva SL 1159cc Automatic
MarkYoungIW
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Radiator Recoring.

Postby Fred Dukes » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:51 pm

Hi Mark I have got radiators recored at Hereford Radiators in the past but have not use them for a few years now
http://herefordradiators.com/
Maybe there's somewhere more local to you https://www.mandmfernradiators.co.uk/
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby MarkYoungIW » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:37 am

Hi,
Thank you. I got a chap in Southampton to do it in the end. Did it for me in just a couple of days, which was perfect.

M&M Fern Radiators, a chap called Paul.

Radiator came back looking like new. Yet to test it though, hopefully car will be back on the road in the next couple of weeks. Where she is the Auto so the radiator is cooling the box as well, she always ran slightly on the warm side for my liking, so fingers tightly crossed, this will help.
MarkYoungIW
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:14 pm

Great what price does he charge :?:
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby MarkYoungIW » Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:24 pm

I paid £180 for a high performance core. Radiator has come back looking like new. Keeping my fingers crossed that the uprated core helps things stay a little cooler than the original did, as the car always ran a little warm for my liking in traffic.
MarkYoungIW
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby MarkYoungIW » Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:25 pm

Planning to drag the car out the barn tomorrow, flush the cooling and see what else needs doing.

She amazingly started first turn of the key after sitting for 5 years (fresh fuel obviously)
MarkYoungIW
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:44 am

MarkYoungIW wrote:Keeping my fingers crossed that the uprated core helps things stay a little cooler than the original did, as the car always ran a little warm for my liking in traffic.

I had a similar issue with my Sportshatch when it went back on the road, and I switched to a cooler thermostat - a QTH100 instead of the more usual QTH102. It used to sit bang on the centre of the gauge, which was fine but I prefer a little room for when it warms up in queues, the new thermostat drops it down a little bit.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby MarkYoungIW » Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:03 pm

I did actually change mine to the 82c thermostat just before I put it away in the barn, but it made no difference, which is what made me sway towards the radiator not quite being efficient enough.
MarkYoungIW
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby MarkYoungIW » Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:43 am

Well we are out of the barn. Will spend the next couple of days recommissioning her.
Attachments
MarkYoungIW
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to Mechanical