Removing the Servo

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Removing the Servo

Postby Fred Dukes » Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:19 pm

After total brake failure I noticed the master cylinder fluid level was non existent on the back section of the cylinder.
Removed master cylinder from the servo and as suspected the fluid had dumped into the servo.
to remove the servo I attempted to disconnect the actuating rod from the brake pedal - removed pin from the pedal but am not having any success in removing the nylon sleeves to release the rod.! ( upside down under the steering column is not the best place to be)
Have any of you clever people found a successful way of pulling/pushing these sleeves out - if so please enlighten me :( :roll: - I will be for ever grateful :wink:
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Re: Removing the Servo

Postby droopsnoot » Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:19 pm

As I recall it, they don't meet in the middle so it's a case of getting something like a scraper between the two and pushing. But if they're at all deformed, that's probably not going to work as they'll start to collapse and get wider, making it all the more difficult to remove them. I imagine the "proper" way is to try to get something under the rim and pull them out. I've an idea that I've cut them before now, but of course you then need to find something to replace them with.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Fred Dukes » Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:54 pm

I think you are right about trying to get something behind the lip to lever them out - yes they are probably deformed which will make them difficult anyway. Replacing them with other nylon sleeves is something that I will probably have to do anyway so total loss removal would not concern me - probably the lesser of the current evils :!:
I will look at a spare pedal box assembly I have to see if I can get some inspiration :wink:
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby droopsnoot » Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:04 pm

If you can sort something out to replace them with, perhaps a sharp knife to remove the outer lip and them push them inwards to release from the pedal. But source replacements first.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Fred Dukes » Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:34 pm

Will see how it goes!
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby GTpete » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:17 pm

As additional info. HB owners can fit the HC dual circuit master cylinder and servo to their HBs by enlarging the holes in the HB servo brackets..
GTpete
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Mechanical